manistee tow

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
jim gallant

Re: manistee tow

Unread post by jim gallant »

the tow is all secure at mrc at 10.00 hrs this morning. the scrap yard is making quick work on the st clair. perhaps the underwriters will sell the blough to i.m.s. the stern section of the townsend is still intact?
rh

Unread post by rh »

The Beverly M I - Manistee scrap tow arrived at Wharf 17 about 0830 assisted by the tugs Vac and John D. Vac and John D then moved the Manistee to the scrap yard.
rh

Unread post by rh »

The Beverly MI with scrap tow Manistee called downbound at Long Point about 2220 with an ETA 0615 for CIP 16 then stopping at Wharf 17.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Custom500 wrote:I know nothing about such things, but towing a big ship with a little tugboat like that looks pretty sketchy. How do you control a huge ship like that in the wind and ice and currents without you and your tugboat ending up somehow crushed like a grape?
The Beverly MI is hardly a small tug. If I'm not mistaken, the tug has 1000 horsepower more than the Manistee had when last operational.
Custom500

Unread post by Custom500 »

I know nothing about such things, but towing a big ship with a little tugboat like that looks pretty sketchy. How do you control a huge ship like that in the wind and ice and currents without you and your tugboat ending up somehow crushed like a grape?
Fr8ers68

Unread post by Fr8ers68 »

Well currently aground after breaking free from the tow. Near Grassy Island mouth of Maumee River
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

From Wayne Elliott (scrapyard owner) Facebook page: "Expecting arrival of Manistee in Port Colborne next Monday" which would be the 28th. He previously said tug Beverly M 1 would be doing the tow. Watch for the tug on AIS (currently at Port Maitland). With that timetable I would expect the tow to leave Friday or Saturday.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I thought I saw here, it was to be either March 26 or March 28? It was posted here on the News Page somewhere? Also I think it’s been mentioned maybe on the Marine Recycling Corp. Facebook Page or site? Hope this information helps. Also, weather permitting too on the tow!
jim gallant

manistee tow

Unread post by jim gallant »

does anyone have an approxmate e.t.d. for the manistee tow from toledo? please and thank you.