Ann Bell Chambers

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jared

Re: Ann Bell Chambers

Unread post by Jared »

Her enrollment papers say that her name is Anna Bellchambers built at Frenchman's Bay Ontario in 1864 by a William Bellchambers. She was 31 tons, had a length of 52ft by 13 1/2 ft beam and a 5ft cargo depth.

Went aground near Toronto in 1873 (possibly the same storm that sank the RG Coburn in Lake Huron) with a cargo of cordwood killing 3 people. Wreck was too damaged to salvage and may still be there on Google maps.
superiorsailor

Ann Bell Chambers

Unread post by superiorsailor »

I am trying to find info on a schooner that went aground in October 1873. The only info I can find on her is contemporaneous news articles on maritime history of the Great Lakes website. I think the big problem is no one can decide on the proper spelling of her name. I've seen it as Ann Bell Chambers, Annbell Chambers, Ann BelChambers, Ann Bellchambers, and A.B. Chambers. I know everything that's included in the news articles, so I don't need the summary, but I'm hoping somebody might have any additional resources

https://images.maritimehistoryofthegrea ... chooner%29