Freighter Whistle Signals

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
BigRiver

Re: Freighter Whistle Signals

Unread post by BigRiver »

Yes, I hear these all the time on the St Marys
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As far as I know, don’t ships from the same fleet still blow and salute whenever they meet closely either in a river or on a lake again closely? Always thought they did unless this practice has changed at some point?
tugboat

Unread post by tugboat »

badger wrote:years ago 3 short blasts every 1 minute was the fog signal, now adays its 1 long blast every 1 minute. as on the deepsea
One prolonged blast at intervals of no more than 2 minutes for power driven vessel underway.
Jim B

Unread post by Jim B »

I worked on the Detroit/St Clair river system for 19 years. Most port to port passes were done with out any signals horn or radio. The exception were USCG vessels who ALWAYS called to set up passing. The only time the radio was used was if some one was turning or wanted a starboard passing set up for some reason. Usually if a five blast was heard it was to make a fisherman aware of his impending doom.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I'm sure they are hugh3 and also to add to your comments, I sure do hope and pray that they are also blowing the "5 short danger signal as well!" If they are not, then one might be involved in a serious collision to which I would not want to be close or near to see have happen then!
Larry64

Unread post by Larry64 »

hugh3 wrote:Hope they are still blowing fog signals when needed...
They do, I love foggy mornings. It sounds like the old days. I really miss the whistles when passing.
badger

Unread post by badger »

years ago 3 short blasts every 1 minute was the fog signal, now adays its 1 long blast every 1 minute. as on the deepsea
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

hugh3 wrote:Hope they are still blowing fog signals when needed...
They still blow fog signals going thru the Straits of Mackinac and Round Island Passage. I hear them every time there is reduced visibility
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Hope they are still blowing fog signals when needed........
Jack

Unread post by Jack »

Thanks Denny!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

You are correct Jack as it is indeed related with modern technology as to why you don’t hear them blowing like you used to. It’s now been replaced by radio now as the ships communicate now by radio thus a reason why you don’t hear the horns blowing as much. Also, each ship besides their own radars and lookouts also have AIS which may also help them as far as other ships in the area that they are passing through. The AIS is a fairly new system that’s been around for a few years and wasn’t around back when you once watched them. Hope that this information helps out.
Jack

Freighter Whistle Signals

Unread post by Jack »

I was a kid in the 60s and 70s spending summers on the St. Clair River. At that time whenever two freighters approached each other there was always some sort of blowing of the ships whistles, usually 1 long,2 short or just 1 long.
The last few years I have been doing a fair amount of ship watching along the Detroit River and elsewhere and the ships usually approach each other and pass right on by without a sound. I was wondering when this started happening, and why. I am guessing it has something to do with modern technology but I really missing hearing those blasts.