Frank Armstrong & Goderich Collision

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
BigRiver

Re: Frank Armstrong & Goderich Collision

Unread post by BigRiver »

The original post was been fixed to correct the errors.

Unread post by Guest »

The collision was one of many incidents over the previous two weeks:

May 31 Grounding of the barge Resolute in Lake Michigan.
May 31 Grounding of the Alexander B Uhrig in Lake St Clair.
May 31 Grounding of Albert E Heekin in the St Clair River.
June 1 Battleford-Pindoc collision, sinking the Prindoc near Thunder Bay.
June 1 Irving S, Olds-C. O. Jenkins collision in Lake Erie, where the boats had to be lashed together to reach Cleveland.
June 2 Harry W. Hosford-W. W. Holloway collision, with the beaching of the Hosford near the Sault.
June 2 Tanker Edward G. Seubert grounded near the Sault.
June 15 George M. Humphreys-D. M. Clemson collision, sinking the Humphreys.
June 15 Brewster-W. D. Calvelrey. Jr. collision in the St Clair River, sinking the Brewster on its maiden voyage.
June 15 Frank Armstrong-Goderich collision.

Unread post by Guest »

June 15th, not 5th. It was at anchor and was downbound, loaded.

Frank Armstrong & Goderich Collision

Unread post by Guest »

The June 5th Today in Great Lakes Shipping account on the News Page relates that Frank Armstrong was loaded with its maiden cargo and at anchor off Point Iroquois when it was struck by the steamer Goderich. Up to this, every account I have read about this incident states the Armstrong was underway when it collided with the Goderich. Furthermore, the Armstrong had left Ashtabula, Ohio on June 3, 1943 to begin its maiden voyage bound for Superior, Wisconsin to load iron ore. I don't believe the Armstrong could have left Ashtabula and load iron ore at Superior in time to be in a collision on the St. Marys River by June 5, 1943 (in a space of just 2 days). I cannot find any newspaper accounts of this accident when it happened so I wondering if anyone had any further information on this that can authenticate either version of this accident.