American shipbuilding lorain

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: American shipbuilding lorain

Unread post by Guest »

In the Summer of 1969 US Steel officials along with officials from Pielstick decided to make a change in the propulsion of the Roger Blough and it was decided to go from a single 15,000 shp engine to two 7,000 shp engines giving a total shp of 14,000.

The two engines were ordered from Crossley-Pielstick in the UK, and US Steel officials were on hand in Cleveland on November 13, 1970 to observe the unloading of the two engines from the Helen Miller of the Manchester Lines. They were subsequently moved by rail to Lorain, Ohio.

Information from the March-April 1971 issue of Telescope, page 55. https://images.maritimehistoryofthegrea ... 26781T.PDF

After the fire, the damaged engines were replaced with Colt-Pielstick engines.
Darryl

Re: American shipbuilding lorain

Unread post by Darryl »

I wasn't there, but I would think almost completely the buyer would have picked what they wanted.
Mn bob

American shipbuilding lorain

Unread post by Mn bob »

When all of the big 1000 footers were built in Lorain they used colt pielstick engines in every ship. I:e James r Barker,mesabi miner,Paul r tregurtha,American spirit,Edgar b speer and Roger blough. Was this a preference of the shipyard or the owners of the ships? None of the ships built in sturgeon bay had the colt pielstick engines in them. The Edwin h gott and Edgar b speer are near sister ships other than they were built at two different shipyards and the fact that they each have different engines in them. So this leads me to believe that it was a preference of the shipyard otherwise I would assume the gott and speer would have the same engines as they are owned by the same company. Any info is appreciated. Tia