Wages

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Wages

Unread post by Guest »

The wages have not kept up over the years relatively to the 60's or even early 2000's. Shore side increases have outpaced sailing in past years closing the gap making it less advantageous as earlier times. Not to mention current economic inflation. Along with more requirements and regulations making sailing less appealing from an outside view with increased licensing. World wide labor shortages are being felt everywhere especially the Great lakes freighters which tend to be lower paying than ocean jobs positions.

Old timers tend to stick around because it is their way of life and vested but the younger generations do not find the career as appealing for the sacrifices. Many positions are not being filled due to the labor shortage. Back in the day with seniority lists you had to work your way up and fight for jobs to get a boat. These days boats run bare minimum or even short crew just to manage. With the competitive labor market sailing just isn't as desirable wage wise. Shore side job increases and also ocean sailing boards are full of higher paying jobs. Good thing for the 3 hots and a cot\, the more you eat the more you make. Not sure if pensions are still relative with most companies.

All that being said, it is still a good job for youngsters ready to live a life on the water. Especially those out of high school with low drag and little baggage back home. Pack your bags, grab your boots and get to work.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

hugh3 wrote: August 15, 2022, 10:45 am The idea being that you received free room and board so you could bank your wages....
I worked during the '70's and being from Flint MI I had lots of friends who worked in the Auto plants. At the end of the season which ran into Feb I would go home. I had money in the bank, my end of season bonus in my pocket and basically a 2 month paid vacation with unemployment and sub pay till April. The saying on the boats was ya got " 3 hots and a cot" as part of your pay
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

The idea being that you received free room and board so you could bank your wages....
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Working on the boats put many a Soo boy through college back then
Earl Morrall

Wages

Unread post by Earl Morrall »

When I was a youngster, high school grad mid to late 1960’s, it was said often that a person could make substantial money working on a Great Lakes freighter for a season. Was that true and if so, is it still true today? Thanks…