cn railcar ferry

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: cn railcar ferry

Unread post by guest »

the nearest canadian pacific "railhead" to baie comeau is quebec city, along way to transport railcars by water. on the other hand canadian national in matane is only 3 hours away. yes both the incan st laurent and incam superior were built for inchcape in b.c. for the 1st year incan st laurent carried rail cars to alaska from surrey, b.c.

Unread post by guest »

isnt their also a "slip" in port cartier and harve st pierre? and she now transports truck trailers between baie comeau and matane in addition to railcars
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Canadian National has been affiliated with the ferry Georges Alexandre Lebel since about 1975 but the Great Lakes Fleet colors were only applied about 7 years ago. Prior to that it had a dark blue hull, white cabins, and green lettering.

Ironically the ship was initially operated by a company affiliated with Canadian Pacific. It was initially called the Incan St. Laurent. There was some sort of contract dispute, as well as political pressure to switch the service over to CN.

The ferry also carries rail cars to Pointe Noire (near Sept. Iles) from Matane but those trips are rather rare. About once a month the last time I checked.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

When I was sailing with GLF back in 1964 the story went that USS had help developed an ore mine two hundred miles inland from Port Cartier. Supposedly the GLF were transporting this ore tax-free back to the USS ports, Gary, Lorain etc...
jim gallant

cn railcar ferry

Unread post by jim gallant »

i notice the cn railcar ferry between matane and baie comeau on the lower st lawrence river has exactly the same hull colours as does GLF vessels. as an aside i believe the current president of algoma central was one time some how connected with this train ferry