Crapo Tow

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Crapo Tow

Unread post by Guest »

The Blough always had a checkered life full of mishaps n problems. The cost to repair her and convert it is way above any reasonable return on investment. I’m pretty sure there’s hull damage from the fire. I was surprised when they put millions into her after the negligent grounding several years ago. It’s an oddball who’s tonnage isn’t needed in the shrinking pie of Great Lakes demand on the US side, especially with coal tonnage dropping every year. Good looking boat yes. Future money maker? No.
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

I’m absolutely sick to my stomach at the thought of the blough going to scrap in the spring. There has been a lot of classic lakers scrapped over the last 10 to 15 years but they were at the end of their lifespan and no longer usefull but the blough is going way ahead of her time. She is still in great shape Hull wise as she has spent a lot of her career at the wall. I know it’s very expensive to repair her and she is limited to just 2 ports to unload at but it just seems to be such a waste of a good ship. Would think some company could purchase her and fix her up and put a unloading boom on deck and get many more years of service out of her. My all time favorite ship and this one hurts to see her go to scrap.
walter

Unread post by walter »

i heard the blough is coming to port in the spring. its unfortunate about the blough it started its career by fire and ended it the same way. soon coal shipmwnts will be a thing of the past

Unread post by Guest »

Will they soon have room for another boat - if the rumors that the Blough will be scrapped are true?
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Guest wrote: January 6, 2023, 1:36 pm Any news on the scrapping status of the Crapo? Has the last of the St. Clair been hauled out of the water yet?
St Clair is long gone. Crapo has not been touched yet. Focus is on Ojibway right now

Unread post by Guest »

Any news on the scrapping status of the Crapo? Has the last of the St. Clair been hauled out of the water yet?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Yes I believe that is the correct way in pronouncing and saying it as some have suggested Cray Poe. That too is how I've heard it years ago when she was active and talking to Sarnia Traffic and visa versa. Will be sad though to see her being towed to the breakers after all of the years she sailed and also as a storage vessel in Green Bay as well. The Crapo like the Alpena used to be always one of the first ships out of lay-up each Spring when she was active and sailing as well. She will be missed here by many of us boatnerds. Another true classic soon to be just a memory to all of us boatnerds out there. Enjoy the true classics while you can boatnerds because they are few and numbers and once they're gone, they are gone then forever and just memories then for us. Glad to see though fleets like Interlake taking so much pride to upgrade some of their classics and keep them around yet for years to come.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: September 19, 2022, 5:23 pm I've got to ask before she's gone.

Is it pronounced Cray - Poe?
That is the way I always heard it pronounced during its calls to Sarnia traffic.

Unread post by Guest »

Yes

Unread post by guest »

its a tow, not a ship, there fore subject to weather, seas wind etc. so its anyones guess. and of course "murphys law"

Unread post by Guest »

I've got to ask before she's gone.

Is it pronounced Cray - Poe?

Crapo Tow

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone know how long it will take the Crapo tow to reach the St. Clair River?