First Turbine Powered Ship Built for Great Lakes

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Duluth Guest

Re: First Turbine Powered Ship Built for Great Lakes

Unread post by Duluth Guest »

I think you may need to clarify this a little bit. There were two arrangements really that used a steam turbine.

The turbo electric power plants used high and low pressure steam turbines to turn a generator arrangment. Large electric motors fed from the generator did the work of propulsion. The T.W. Robinson (1925) was the first of this arrangement followed by the Carl D. Bradely (1927). I believe the last turbo-electrics built were the Leon Falk Jr. and the Paul H. Carnahan. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on that.

The Irvin class of vesselsof 1938 ( William A. Irvin, Governor Miller, John Hulst and Ralph H. Watson) were the first Great Lakes ore carriers propelled directly by DeLaval Cross Compound Steam Turbines through a gear reduction.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: September 27, 2022, 8:07 am While we're at it, which was the last Great Lakes bulk carrier to be built with one?
I believe that would have been the Feux-Follets, later Canadian Leader, built in 1967 As a side note, Cleveland Cliffs explored the option of construction a 1,000 foot vessel with steam turbines but this project never went forward.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: September 27, 2022, 8:07 am While we're at it, which was the last Great Lakes bulk carrier to be built with one?
That was the Canadian Leader, built 1967.

Unread post by Guest »

On the US side, it was the Ryerson. On the Canadian side it was, i believe, the Canadian Leader.
badger

Unread post by badger »

id say the ss feux follets owned by papachristids shipping launched in collingwood in 1967, latter named canadian leader owned by upper lakes sjipping. in 1975 2 steam turbine vessels were built in collingwood for gypsum transportation co but were foriegn registered for deep sea service.. as for us yards i cant say

Unread post by Guest »

Mmmm.... ryerson ???

Unread post by Guest »

While we're at it, which was the last Great Lakes bulk carrier to be built with one?

Unread post by Guest »

Darryl wrote: September 24, 2022, 1:32 pm Was there a turbine before The SS Carl D Bradley in the year of 1927?
The turbo-electric powered T. W. Robinson predated the Carl D. Bradley by 2 years. I believe the Robinson was the first Great Lakes bulk carrier built with a steam turbine.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Was there a turbine before The SS Carl D Bradley in the year of 1927?
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

That would be the first North American turbine driven vessel and the first turbine driven vessel to cross the Atlantic, the appropriately named twin-screw Turbinia, launched 20 March 1904 at Hebburn-on-Tyne, England, by Hawthorn, Leslie Co., Ltd., for the Turbine Steamship Company, Ltd., of Hamilton, Ontario, for fast Hamilton-Toronto passenger service. Its power plant consisted of a three phase steam turbine, 7000-shp, built by the Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Engine Co., Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, supplied by two large Scotch boilers, 17'6" x 10'6," built by its builders at their St. Peters-on-Tyne shop. It left Newcastle on 1 June 1904 and arrived at Hamilton 29 June 1904. It took six days to traverse the Atlantic. It was a beautiful vessel, very "Continental" for obvious reasons looking much like the turbine passenger vessels then multiplying on the Irish and North Seas and the English Channel. It ended up as a day boat for Canada Steanship Lines, Ltd., between Montréal and Québec, 1929-1930, and was dismantled at Sorel in the fall of 1937.
Ben1

Unread post by Ben1 »

The first ones to be built specifically with turbines were in the order of launch the William a Irvin the governor miller John hulst Ralph h Watson they came out in 1938

Unread post by Guest »

Without researching it I’ll guess on some names. Sure someone will prove me wrong. John hulst, Ralph Watson , governor Miller, Irvin? Stab in the dark. Mr link will have correct answer.
Guest 99

Unread post by Guest 99 »

The first ones were the sister shipd of US Steel. The Governor Miller and William A. Irvin. They were only 2,000 HP and would only travel at 10-11 MPH.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I believe the first turbine ship to visit the great lakes was the Yacht Emerald in 1906 and the first one built actually on the lakes was the City of Cleveland between 1910-1911.
J Kerwin

Unread post by J Kerwin »

My guess is the Philip D. Block or the T.W. Robinson

First Turbine Powered Ship Built for Great Lakes

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone know what was the first ship built specifically for use on the Great Lakes with a steam turbine engine?