Mark W. Barker in Monroe

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mr Link

Re: Mark W. Barker in Monroe

Unread post by Mr Link »

Guest wrote: October 5, 2022, 9:03 am
RogerKYS wrote: October 4, 2022, 10:01 pm Loading gypsum for Port Colborne
Hi Roger,

Looking at an image of the area where the Mark W. Barker is docked, there's several silo structures at the dock where she's currently moored.but I don't see a pile of gypsum.

Is the gypsum being loaded from the silos, or are they being trucked in and loaded by portable conveyors and front-end loaders?

Brian
Attached should be a photo of the port from March 20, 2021 from Google Earth. Although not current, it shows gypsum being stockpiled in the lay down area as well as many of the other changes that the port has made over the past few years.

One of the annoying things about popular mapping sites like Google Maps is that they don't provide dates on their aerial images. When I look at the Port of Monroe in Google Maps, it shows me an 8 year old image from 2014, but doesn't mention the date. (Although that can depend on what operating system and browser you are using).
Attachments
monroe.jpg
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Brian
The silos are for liquid asphalt storage, not related to loading ops. Gypsum is trucked in and loaded with portable reach stackers/front end loaders

Unread post by Guest »

Gypsum started shipping from Monroe in August, 2014. A couple of articles about the trade:

DTE Energy, Michigan’s Port of Monroe partner to recycle gypsum

Gypsum partnership grows Port of Monroe
guesty

Unread post by guesty »

Guest wrote: October 5, 2022, 12:21 am Thanks, Roger

I didn’t realize Monroe was shipping Gypsum. Is this a new trade route?
It is synthetic gypsum that is a by product of the exhaust gas scrubbers at the power plant. USACE data shows that they have been shipping out gypsum by water every year since 2014 except for 2020. Varying between 11,000 and 65,000 tons per year. I think in the past a lot went by tug and barge. Specifically the Undaunted/Pere Marquette 41.

Unread post by guest »

its synthetic gypsum a by product of the power plant, it goes to port colborne then trucked to hagersville, ont. its mixed with real gypsun mined in hagersville. it helps extend the life of the mine. at one time synthetic gypsum was railed from pittsburg to coneault then transported to port colborne. at times mckeil had the contract as did purvis marine with the yankcanuck. i dont know what happened to this trade. pere marquette shipping was carrying the synthetic gypsum to port colborne but being as their now owned by interlake whats the difference

Unread post by Guest »

RogerKYS wrote: October 4, 2022, 10:01 pm Loading gypsum for Port Colborne
Hi Roger,

Looking at an image of the area where the Mark W. Barker is docked, there's several silo structures at the dock where she's currently moored.but I don't see a pile of gypsum.

Is the gypsum being loaded from the silos, or are they being trucked in and loaded by portable conveyors and front-end loaders?

Brian

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks, Roger

I didn’t realize Monroe was shipping Gypsum. Is this a new trade route?
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Loading gypsum for Port Colborne

Mark W. Barker in Monroe

Unread post by Guest »

I see that she went from Buffalo to Monroe after unloading sand in Buffalo. Does anyone know what she is in Monroe for?

Thanks in Advanced