ss mataafa

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Darryl1

Re: ss mataafa

Unread post by Darryl1 »

If anyone one is interested and wants to know about the SS Mataafa there's a well researched book about it titled: Luck of the Draw - The Mataafa Story. It dramatizes the storm...
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

William Lafferty wrote: December 2, 2022, 1:25 pm Mataafa and the tanker L. S. Wescoat were sold to Marine Salvage, Ltd., in 1964 and resold to Eisen & Metall AG, Hamburg, the following year. Both comprised a double tow, arriving at Hamburg for demolition on 19 July 1965. I'm pretty sure the bell was removed at Port Colborne.
That's what I thot. And I agree, the bell was likely removed in Port Colbourne and probably sold to someone who came by the office and bought it. I've bought from Marine Salvage back in the 60s, so I know that went on quite frequently. By the way, if it's the right bell, the name on the bell will say "Pennsylvania 1899". I saw it once, didn't realize it was from the Mataafa and didn't bother buying it! Always kicked myself for missing that gem.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Mataafa and the tanker L. S. Wescoat were sold to Marine Salvage, Ltd., in 1964 and resold to Eisen & Metall AG, Hamburg, the following year. Both comprised a double tow, arriving at Hamburg for demolition on 19 July 1965. I'm pretty sure the bell was removed at Port Colborne.

Unread post by Guest »

ashland69 wrote: December 1, 2022, 9:19 pm Maybe when the Mataafa was scrapped in 60s, a Canadian got the bell and it ended up on Pelee island. Wasn't the Mataafa scrapped in Hamilton or Port Colbourne? I could be wrong, too.
The Mataafa was scrapped by Marine Salvage at Port Robinson, which is a short distance north of Port Colborne.
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

Maybe when the Mataafa was scrapped in 60s, a Canadian got the bell and it ended up on Pelee island. Wasn't the Mataafa scrapped in Hamilton or Port Colbourne? I could be wrong, too.

ss mataafa

Unread post by guest »

the bell from the ss mataafa is on display at a museum on peele island, ontario. why or how it arrived there is anyones guess