ELR

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: ELR

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: December 12, 2022, 10:03 pm
Guest wrote: December 11, 2022, 7:53 pm I know I’m anonymous, and you’ll likely pull this post, BUT I’ll start the rumor… ELR will sail in 2023.
I might not know who you are but I'd love to know who your supplier is for whatever you are on!! Never say never but they either need the economy to be spectacular or they find some super sweet 5 to 10 year contract that is just perfect for something like the Ryerson. Also if they run it as a steamer they're going to have to find steam engineers with upper level licenses who are not nursing home residents!! Working it that first year won't be fun! All the piping that will need replacement alone...the overtime will be blood money!! If I was betting, I don't see it happening.
That certainly is an interesting and positive take on the possibility of the ELR coming out in 2023. While yes I do agree with you that there are less Steam Engineers then there was 10, 20 years ago, they are still out there. They may not all be located in the states bordering the lakes alone though. Keep in mind that there are still quite a few US Flagged Ships; including those in the RR and MSC fleets, that are steam powered and there are also quite a few very bright young steam engineers out there moving up in the ranks. Its not a dead technology. Yes bringing any idled vessel out of layup is not fun; whether steam or diesel, but I would imagine there is enough competent and knowledgeable crew out there that would relish the opportunity to bring her back to life if the opportunity presented itself. You are probably right though best to place your money on not happening, it will sweeten the odds for those that place their money on it happening.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: December 11, 2022, 7:53 pm I know I’m anonymous, and you’ll likely pull this post, BUT I’ll start the rumor… ELR will sail in 2023.
Ya know, I wonder! I saw a LOT of activity around the Ryerson today!

Unread post by Guest »

I might not know who you are but I'd love to know who your supplier is for whatever you are on!! Never say never but they either need the economy to be spectacular or they find some super sweet 5 to 10 year contract that is just perfect for something like the Ryerson. Also if they run it as a steamer they're going to have to find steam engineers with upper level licenses who are not nursing home residents!! Working it that first year won't be fun! All the piping that will need replacement alone...the overtime will be blood money!! If I was betting, I don't see it happening.

Unread post by Guest »

I know I’m anonymous, and you’ll likely pull this post, BUT I’ll start the rumor… ELR will sail in 2023.
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Guest wrote: December 10, 2022, 9:28 am It probably means the President of CML enjoys the rumors also.
Most likely!

Unread post by Guest »

It probably means the President of CML enjoys the rumors also.
Shipwatcher1

ELR

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Probably doesn't mean anything, but recently the president of CML posted a photo to social media of himself inside the Ryerson pilothouse. Again, likely means nothing, but I kinda enjoy hearing peoples rumors about the Ryerson, so fire away!