Enders M. Voorhees Today in History 02-01-23

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Enders M. Voorhees Today in History 02-01-23

Unread post by Guest »

I was on watchman on that winter run until the end. She had heated tunnels for crew to use. From all the working in heavy ice a couple of the propeller blades (buckets) were bent 'dog eared.' We made that last trip down L. Michigan only turning 80 RPM instead of the usual 105 because of the vibration/shaking above 80.
jim gallant

Re: Enders M. Voorhees Today in History 02-01-23

Unread post by jim gallant »

john vournakis wa a wheelsman on her. if im not mistaken he wa employed by USS for over 50 years?

Enders M. Voorhees Today in History 02-01-23

Unread post by Guest »

That is a really nice shot of the Enders M. Voorhees covered in ice in the Today In Great Lakes History section for February 1, 2023. I have one question, however. I have seen several photos of ships with traditional fore and aft cabin style operating in ice in which the level of the spar deck is visible by the coating of ice at the bow. The ice formation usually has a sharp edge as is shown very well in this photograph. Were the compartments on the inside of these vessels in this area unheated or not heated very well to produce this effect? Or was more heat generated in the compartments below that level which prevented a significant build-up of ice on the outside of the hull below the spar deck level? I would assume that these steamers had steam-powered windlass installations at the bow for mooring cables and retrieving the anchor. Would running these have created this effect?