USS KOBE

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: USS KOBE

Unread post by Guest »

Since Republic and USS are still in business and making money, maybe the State of Ohio should make them clean up the mess they made on the Black River.

Would make a nice river front park and probably help facilitate Lorain's turnaround.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Not sure when they closed it but, at one point in time the St. Clair used to be a frequent visitor bringing in ore pellets to the Kobe Plant.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

USS/Kobe appeared when what I think was then known as USX merged its Lorain plant with Kobe in 1989. That didn't work out and in 1999 USX retained what became known as the Lorain Tubular Steel Operations and Republic took the steel bar mill. The plant expanded in 2010 but, in irony of ironies, the expansion of oil drilling, specifically "fracking," resulted in the overall market for oil using the type of major oilfield piping and associated products the plant produced, and oil prices plummeted. You're right, the complete operation completely shuttered by May 2015.

Unread post by Guest »

It’s closed… gone cold a few years ago when the oil boom went bust again. Demand for its pipe was gone. I think maybe around 2015. If correct there was a resurgence a few years ago then it fell on hard times during Covid. Not sure… one of our excellent resident boat nerd researches could fill in details. Republic Lorain is also done

USS KOBE

Unread post by guest »

in lorain, ohio there was a joint venture between USS and a steel company from japan calle KOBE. is this still operating or gone out of business? i believe they had hulletts for unloading straight deckers and they had a curve in their tracks