Port Colborne Scrap Yard

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Port Colborne Scrap Yard

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote: August 1, 2023, 12:12 am ss spartan owned by lake michigam carferry, inc. ludington, michigan. laid up since 1979

But the parent company is Interlake Maritime Services, Mark W Barker, President. So it's basically owned by Interlake.

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote: August 1, 2023, 12:12 am ss spartan owned by lake michigam carferry, inc. ludington, michigan. laid up since 1979
Is Michigan Carferry owned by Interlake Steamship?

Unread post by Guest »

I didn't see either the SPARTAN or the TECUMSEH in the last video. Are those boats already in Port Colborne?

Do you know the name of the tank barge that is docked there now waiting to be scrapped?

Unread post by guest »

ss spartan owned by lake michigam carferry, inc. ludington, michigan. laid up since 1979

Unread post by Guest »

The car ferry S.S. Spartan? Who owns her?

Unread post by guest »

next up the tecumseh in mid september. then perhaps the ss spartan before freeze up?

Unread post by Guest »

Was checking out YouTube videos posted June 22 by RightinNiagara that showed the MANISTEE was about 1/3 scrapped. Does anyone have any further information?

With the ST Crapo already gone, that leaves only a single tank barge remaining in their inventory.

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone have an update of the demolition (oops recycling) of the boats?

Has room opened up for another boat - say one sitting across the lake?
Guest 999

Unread post by Guest 999 »

Thank you to RCRVRP for posting the videos.

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone know if steel mills have to sand blast this scrap steel due to the amount of lead and other chemicals in marine paint?

I recall when they tore down part of a bridge in Cleveland many years back, mills wouldn't take the steel scrap for that reason.
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

Another and better video of ship breaking with a shear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=remem4R801g
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

Video of ship breaking with shear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDgJMMR2B40
Guest 999

Guest wrote: March 31, 2023, 10:34 am
Guest 999 wrote: March 31, 2023, 6:16 am
I was amazed how quickly the St. Clair scrapped, as well as the English River. A friend who sailed said that winching / rolling the boats onto dry land greatly increases the speed and efficiency with which a boat can be torch cut.
Once a hull is up on dry land, less actual torch cutting has to be done. Instead excavator-mounted hydraulic shears can be used to rip apart the hull.
Most insightful reading the hydraulic shear aspect. Thank you!

Unread post by Guest »

Guest 999 wrote: March 31, 2023, 6:16 am
I was amazed how quickly the St. Clair scrapped, as well as the English River. A friend who sailed said that winching / rolling the boats onto dry land greatly increases the speed and efficiency with which a boat can be torch cut.
Once a hull is up on dry land, less actual torch cutting has to be done. Instead excavator-mounted hydraulic shears can be used to rip apart the hull.
Guest 999

Guest wrote: March 30, 2023, 10:00 am Thanks to all who responded!

If it only takes a month or so to dismantle a boat (and the S.T. Crapo) is pretty small perhaps in early May we'll see if the Blough is towed over for recycling.

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks to all who responded!

If it only takes a month or so to dismantle a boat (and the S.T. Crapo) is pretty small perhaps in early May we'll see if the Blough is towed over for recycling.
Geest

Unread post by Geest »

To the best of my knowledge

1) The scrap is primarily trucked out to domestic consumers in Canada.
2) I believe they do for historic vessels, but it doesn't seem to be a key part of their business. They likely retain certain items for reuse or spares in the industry
3) In that video he says the pilothouse of the Ojibway was on its way to become a cabin for a buyer in Canada, so it seems like you can purchase them
4) Seems like a month or two per vessel, quicker if there arent any hazmat substances (fuel/oil/asbestos) onboard.
5) The St Clair is the largest vessel scrapped on the lakes thusfar.
badger

Unread post by badger »

they truck all the scrap to stelco in nanticoke to be recycled. they use to, and perhaps still do, sell some "stuff" no set hours. phone during business hours to get more info. looking for a wheelhouse? for a price im sure you could have one barged to whereever

Port Colborne Scrap Yard

Unread post by Guest »

Have always found the process of ship dismantling interesting. Port Colborne is one that I follow a lot being a Great Lakes boatnerd.
Watching this recent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK35LHAVAWs by Neil Walsh and others by Rightin Niagara.

A couple of questions if anyone knows -

1) Do they truck out all the scrap? Is the scrap sent overseas or used in Canadian mills?
2) Do they sell fixtures or collectables from the boats?
3) They seem to collect pilothouses. Do they use them as offices?
4) How long does it take for them to totally "recycle" a typical boat? It sure didn't seem long to cut up the Ojibway.
5) Was the St. Clair the largest boat scrapped at this facility?

Thanks!