Mississagi Scrapping

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Shipwatcher1

Re: Mississagi Scrapping

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Several seasons ago the boom began to buckle as was quite evident in photos during her last few seasons. Made her look quite terrible as far as I'm concerned. If anyone needed a boom, there are several better options available sitting at MRC right now that are not buckled and sagging.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote: April 16, 2023, 7:08 pm So, could her cabins then be salvaged and used for office purposes or maybe as a marine museum or a lakeside home or something like that then? Second, could her boom then be saved to be used later on any self-unloaders that may need an updated or new boom?
That boom would be 56 years of age as I don't believe it was ever replaced after the Sloan's conversion to a self-unloader in 1967 and was likely nearing the end of its life cycle when the ship was sold for scrap. If it had any value, I would have imagined LLT would have removed it prior to selling the Mississagi for scrap. If I recall correctly, the company went to the trouble to sail the ship one last time to Sarnia (from Hamilton?) following its final winter layup to have some equipment removed, so I would say this would also indicate that had the boom any future potential use it would have been removed at that point. However, I don't know how it has been removed at the Canadian Soo whether that has been in pieces for scrap, in one piece, or in sections for possible reuse.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote: April 16, 2023, 7:08 pm So, could her cabins then be salvaged and used for office purposes or maybe as a marine museum or a lakeside home or something like that then? Second, could her boom then be saved to be used later on any self-unloaders that may need an updated or new boom?
By the amount that her boom was sagging in the end it is likely that it did not receive as much maintenance and structural attention as it needed, and is likely done for at this point.

Unread post by guest »

just whats needed another marine museum,the ones now couldnt make ends meet on the addmision fee.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

So, could her cabins then be salvaged and used for office purposes or maybe as a marine museum or a lakeside home or something like that then? Second, could her boom then be saved to be used later on any self-unloaders that may need an updated or new boom?

Unread post by Guest »

The cabins and boom are gone but much of the hull remains.
Don_Detloff

Mississagi Scrapping

Unread post by Don_Detloff »

Is anything left of the Mississagi up at the Soo, or has her scrapping been completed?