mclouth steel

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
FWE

Re: mclouth steel

Unread post by FWE »

Mclouth Steel in N. Trenton was the first mill to operate the BOP furnaces. Many C.C. I.C. Fleet mates supplied the mill with ore as well as American Steamship and others. The Detroit Toledo & Ironton R.R. serviced the plant bringing in Coke and finished steel out. Location currently is completely leveled .

Unread post by Guest »

I did a bit of research regarding McLouth of Marine City and came across two articles from Telescope.

The first article is written by Peter Van Der Linden and was in the May/June 1976 issue: https://images.maritimehistoryofthegrea ... page/12?n=

The second is an article in the April 1956 issue (pages 3-5): https://images.maritimehistoryofthegrea ... 18761T.PDF

Hope this is of some help.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Sydney McLouth owned and operated the Marine City shipyard from the late 1880s to the early 20s. Donald McLouth who founded the steel company is a distant relative along the lines of great grandnephew from the Toronto Scanner.

Unread post by Guest »

I lived in Marine City for several decades and I never heard of the McLouth stone yard having any connection to McLouth Steel. I believe that McLouth had a shipyard in Marine City from the late 1800s through around the 1920s-1930s, I'm unsure of the local history in that regard but is it possible that the stone yard is the location of the former shipyard? If I recall correctly the McLough family held considerable shipping interests during the late 1800s during the time of wooden ship construction and operation.
badger

mclouth steel

Unread post by badger »

was there a connection between mclouth steel in trenton, mich. and mclouth stone dock in marine city, mich? or did they just have the same name?