Midwest Terminal - Toledo

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Midwest Terminal - Toledo

Unread post by guest »

why wouldnt they just wet down the piles of pet coke in detroit? port colborne sprays the piles of synthetic gypsum with water from an old firetruck. it seems to work quite well. and theres no shortage of water.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

I too have heard that they ship out petroleum coke. The US Army Corps of Engineers shows that 271,000 tons of petcoke was shipped out of Toledo in 2020, but it doesn't list which dock.

Some of that petcoke likely comes from the nearby refineries, but I read somewhere that much of it is coming from Marathon in Detroit. When they expanded and re-configured the Marathon refinery in Detroit a few years ago, it switched to using mostly crude from the Alberta oil sands as feedstock. That source creates a lot more petcoke than lighter crudes. Initially they were shipping out the petcoke from docks on the Detroit River, but it was stockpiled on the docks without any covers and the dust was blowing all over the Detroit area and into Windsor. That created so many complaints that they were forced to stop shipping it out of Detroit. So now it is trucked to Toledo and shipped from there.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I think it might be some type of Coke maybe? I’ve seen on the tracking websites at times I think anyway, the Sam Laud loaded there once?
Jon Paul

Midwest Terminal - Toledo

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Last week the Wilfred Sykes loaded at Midwest Term for Burns Harbor and now the Herbert C Jackson is doing the same run. What is loaded at this dock.