Angled Hatch Coamings

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Angled Hatch Coamings

Unread post by Guest »

Several of the Maritimers (1943) received deck strapping when they were granted deeper drafts due to changes to the loadline regulations in the early 1970s. One of the modifications done to those ships was the installation of deckstraps outboard of the hatch-end girders, which necessitated angled hatch ends, as the deck straps would have been partly under the hatch coamings.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Another advantage of the angle is that they were easier to keep clean. With the older flat box type header cargo would accumulate and have to be shoveled into the hold especially with strait Deckers and using shoreline unloaders

Unread post by Guest »

The John G. Munson received a rebuilt deck with new hatch coamings and hatch-covers when she was lengthened and converted to oil firing from coal during the Winter of 1975-75 at Fraser Shipyard.

And yes, the angled port and starboard hatch girders were for the gravity-chute ore docks. (i.e. angle of repose)

Angled Hatch Coamings

Unread post by Guest »

Many ships have hatch coamings that have angled edges on the port and starboard sides of the hatch openings in contrast to the straight (or vertical) edges of older vessels. I'm assuming that this design change was to minimize damages incurred when gravity chutes would slam down on the coaming's edge while loading. Does anyone know what was the first vessel to have the angled hatch coaming openings? I noticed that most of the 1950s built ships have the vertical coamings, but it appears that the John G. Munson has the angled edges but I beleive that vessel had its hatches modifed at some point from telescoping covers to single piece covers so perhaps they were modified at that time?