American Fortitude (Courtney Burton) scrapping

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: American Fortitude (Courtney Burton) scrapping

Unread post by Guest »

A past ford fleet captain had it towed and set up at PIB. Last I knew a father and son own it. They have tours couple times a summer.

Unread post by guest »

who bought the wheelhouse from the ford vessel on put in bay. seen it once very impressive a professionl job
Duluth Guest

Unread post by Duluth Guest »

The pilothouse from the M/V Ojibway, more widely known as the former Kinsman Independent, went to Beaver Island. The S/S American Fortitude pilothouse is still at MRC.
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

badger wrote: September 1, 2023, 3:47 am someone says the wheelhouse is at MRC some one says its on beaver island which one is correct? or are they both wrong?
The Ojibway pilothouse went to Beaver Island, Fortitude is still at MRC
badger

Unread post by badger »

someone says the wheelhouse is at MRC some one says its on beaver island which one is correct? or are they both wrong?

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote: August 30, 2023, 3:17 pm iif the pilot house of the american fortitude has been saved where abots is it?
At the MRC yard.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

guest wrote: August 30, 2023, 3:17 pm iif the pilot house of the american fortitude has been saved where abots is it?
Beaver Island in Lake Michigan
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

So if it’s next to impossible to get steam engineers how were they ever going to sail the ryerson this year? She still has a steam engine in her correct?

Unread post by guest »

iif the pilot house of the american fortitude has been saved where abots is it?
Geest

Unread post by Geest »

From what I hear its getting almost impossible to find diesel engineers, let alone steam qualified ones. Those remaining few that still have a current steam license are probably making way more on government contracts to run or maintain the dwindling number of MARAD steam plant ships versus the lakes. Its a dying profession in the maritime world, sadly.

guest wrote: August 25, 2023, 3:41 am steam powered hard to get qualified engineers unless yo try and force retired people to come back to work but that isnt going to work

Unread post by Guest »

I didn't realize the pilot house of the American Fortitude had been saved.

Here is one of the last pictures I took of the American Fortitude while it was downbound at Port Huron, Michigan, and about to enter the St. Clair River on September 17, 2007. I believe it was carrying a partial cargo of grain at the time. Although the stack and after cabins had been repainted by this point, we never got to see the American Fortitude in full ASC fleet colors like the American Valor.
Attachments
0916070039966.jpg
JERRY AT DULUTH

Unread post by JERRY AT DULUTH »

in most cases, the owner wanted to remove them from competition. they could get more money by selling the ship free and clear but decided to take less in order to not compete with the ship.

Unread post by guest »

steam powered hard to get qualified engineers unless yo try and force retired people to come back to work but that isnt going to work

Unread post by Guest »

She was in good shape but ASC had a lot of excess capacity, didn't foresee ever needing her again, and didn't want her to fall into a competitor's hands. Had she stuck around I imagine she'd of became part of the deal that saw several ships reflagged Canadian and sold to Algoma Central.

Unlike the other two steamers that ASC got in that deal, she just might've stood a distant chance at filling a niche at Algoma for a few seasons with the retirement of Algoway and Algorail and the troubles they had with their Croatia river class ships, perhaps creating enough demand to reactivate her alongside the two diesel powered ships that Algoma Central continues to use.

Interlake and what was the Central Marine Logistics fleet (Cleveland Cliffs now) have had a lot more stability than ASC was experiencing, a fraction of the hulls laid up that ASC had, and can afford to hold on to idle but potentially valuable assets for the long-term.
Jared

American Fortitude (Courtney Burton) scrapping

Unread post by Jared »

Has it came to light why the Burton was scrapped? I've read repeatedly in other threads of not underestimating the worth of Jones Act compliant hulls, but yet they have certainly scrapped quite a few over the last 20 years.

I was wondering if there was a major issue that led to her demise. The good news is that her pilothouse will live on as a cottage.