labour day

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: labour day

Unread post by Guest »

I was speaking about USCG
FWE

Unread post by FWE »

On this site it would be prudent to specify U.S.C.G or Transport Canada perhaps. Outside of being a sober crew member for the watch, it starts immediately when your boots hit the deck plates in that you are a member of the Fire and Boat list and must be able to respond to your position on that list 24/7.
hayhugh

Unread post by hayhugh »

I kina frown on the CG for some of their exploits: Fitzgerald results.....
badger

Unread post by badger »

more than likily the CG frowns on everthing and then some!

Unread post by Guest »

Why would the coast guard frown on that? Mariners are allowed any normal behavior ashore as any other citizen or worker. As long as you’re sober on watch they have no say. In case of a problem Ships officers handle the situation. In all my career never saw or had a sailor reprimanded by coast guard for drinking off watch on shore or on the ship. They don’t even know about it. In the 70s they did do occasional bordings and searches for drugs. Illicit substances were a major problem in those years and I saw sailors lose their z cards and career. Drug testing has pretty much stopped that for many years now. In 38 yrs, 28 of them as 1st mate and relief captain I only fired 6-7 guys for drunk on watch or aboard.

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote: September 4, 2023, 5:12 am happy labour day to mariners everywhere. if you get up the street have a cold one
Pretty sure the CG is gonna frown on that...
hayhugh

Unread post by hayhugh »

At least one..............

labour day

Unread post by guest »

happy labour day to mariners everywhere. if you get up the street have a cold one