MV Presque Isle

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jon Paul

Re: MV Presque Isle

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Presque Isle is currently unbound in the St Clair River bound for Two Harbors

Unread post by Guest »

Geest wrote: August 26, 2023, 8:56 am I believe earlier this season she was sidelined waiting in engine parts up in Superior, it may be that they are still waiting for specific parts or the install was taking longer than planned, delaying the 5yr inspection and certification
Last season she was sidelined for reduction gear replacement. She is currently undergoing a 5 yr survey which can take time depending on any issues found
Geest

Unread post by Geest »

I believe earlier this season she was sidelined waiting in engine parts up in Superior, it may be that they are still waiting for specific parts or the install was taking longer than planned, delaying the 5yr inspection and certification
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Guest wrote: August 25, 2023, 6:35 am Unless the tug is in need of serious repairs or waiting for some specific part, I don't see a 5 year survey taking over 6 weeks. As you said, this is very telling as to GLF being able to meet the current demand with the Presque Isle out of service not to mention no work being done to bring the Callaway out. Furthermore, it also indicates why the Blough wasn't repaired.
I wonder if this is why the Clarke was out again this year.

Unread post by Guest »

ABS website (eagle.org - search for abs record database) shows that the tug portion of Presque Isle tug was due for her class certification which was due to expire July 31, 2023. The work includes tailshaft survey, tailshaft propeller connection, hull survey, special survey and load line renewal.

Unread post by Guest »

Unless the tug is in need of serious repairs or waiting for some specific part, I don't see a 5 year survey taking over 6 weeks. As you said, this is very telling as to GLF being able to meet the current demand with the Presque Isle out of service not to mention no work being done to bring the Callaway out. Furthermore, it also indicates why the Blough wasn't repaired.
CSLFAN

MV Presque Isle

Unread post by CSLFAN »

The tug has been at Port Weller for about 45 days....I assume she gets a 5 year but that should not take this long....Believe the barge is at Erie, is it also on the drydock there....???? If GLF can get along without the PI it's another reason they won't work on the Callaway...