Burns Harbor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mr Link

Re: Burns Harbor

Unread post by Mr Link »

Guest wrote: October 12, 2023, 5:42 pm After so much frustration and hair pulling, I have uploaded the diagram of cabins for the BayShip thousand footers (as built) to my website: https://www.goldenhorseshoewx.ca/images ... Cabins.jpg
Thanks. There is something about that particular file that this system just doesn't like. I tried multiple ways of posting it and I too got nothing but http errors as well.

Unread post by Guest »

After so much frustration and hair pulling, I have uploaded the diagram of cabins for the BayShip thousand footers (as built) to my website: https://www.goldenhorseshoewx.ca/images ... Cabins.jpg

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: October 12, 2023, 12:22 am
mr link jr wrote: October 11, 2023, 10:03 pm Another attempt to post a photo, this time as a guest.
Another Wendell Wilke photo, from 9/23/1977

Guest, I've been able to post photos both logged in as a member and as a guest. Please try again. Both photo files that I posted were JPG files about 1 mb in size.
I don't believe that can be the Burns Harbor given the date attached to the image, not to mention the superstructure does not appear to be that of the Burns Harbor but that of one of the other 1000 footers built by Bayship during the 1970s to early 1980s. Could this actually be a photograph of the Lewis Wilson Foy or Belle River?
After looking at this image further, I believe I was initially incorrect and believe that this is in fact the Burns Harbor. Regardless the dates given do not reconcile with those that would be possible with the construction of the Burns Harbor. I apologize for my initial, and I now believe, incorrect assumptions about this interesting image.

Unread post by Guest »

The Lewis Wilson Foy was originally to be named Burns Harbor, but Bethlehem Steel changed their minds at some point and went with the former name.

This might be cause of the confusion.

Unread post by Guest »

The top diagrams are the Belle River, Indiana Harbor, Lewis Wilson Foy and Columbia Star.

The middle diagrams are for the Edwin H. Gott.

The bottom diagrams are for Hull 720, which is the Burns Harbor.

Eventhough it says 1978, BayShip was all ready finalizing the design of the Burns Harbor.

Unread post by Guest »

mr link jr wrote: October 11, 2023, 10:03 pm Another attempt to post a photo, this time as a guest.

Guest, I've been able to post photos both logged in as a member and as a guest. Please try again. Both photo files that I posted were JPG files about 1 mb in size.
I don't believe that can be the Burns Harbor given the date attached to the image, not to mention the superstructure does not appear to be that of the Burns Harbor but that of one of the other 1000 footers built by Bayship during the 1970s to early 1980s. Could this actually be a photograph of the Lewis Wilson Foy or Belle River?
mr link jr

Unread post by mr link jr »

Another attempt to post a photo, this time as a guest.

Attachments
Burns Harbor_Bay Ship_Bethlehem Steel_09-23-77_Wendell Wilke sm.jpg
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

I seem to be able to post photos. (I am signed in when I tried.) Please try again. You do have to wait until the green status bar goes away and a little green circle with a check mark appears before submitting.

Burns Harbor Keel Laying 3-1-1977 Wendell Wilke
Attachments
Burns Harbor_1st Section Stern Layed_Bethlehem Steel_03-01-77_Wendell Wilke sm.jpg

Unread post by Guest »

Note to administrator: I keep getting an "ERROR http error" when trying to upload an image of the cabins layout for the BayShip thousand footers. I get a green status bar, but the error means that the file wasn't attached. Can someone please look into this issue? Thank you. BTW, the file is only 752kb in size, so size shouldn't be a problem.

Unread post by Guest »

Here's a plan for the three room designs for the BayShip thousand footers, as built.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: October 8, 2023, 12:13 pm The Lewis Wilson Foy had single rooms for licenced personnel, and double rooms for unlicensed personnel.

Burns Harbor has the extra level due to single rooms for all personnel.
Were the single rooms on the Burns Harbor for labor agreement reasons? It seems odd that Bethlehem would have incurred the extra cost associated with adding an extra deck if not for a specific reason. I believe that Bethlehem was considering adding additional 1000-foot ships at about 10-year intervals at the time of the construction of the Burns Harbor, but the collapse of the steel market put an end to that by the early 1980s. By the early 1990s it had reduced its fleet to only the Burns Harbor and Stewart J. Cort, with the Lewis Wilson Foy and Sparrows Point going to Columbia Transportation (Oglebay Norton), and talk of any further units was no longer heard. If Bethlehem had gone forward with plans for more 1000 foot ships if the steel industry would have not remained in steady decline, perhaps the configuration of the Burns Harbor would have continued on in later ships.

Unread post by Guest »

The Lewis Wilson Foy had single rooms for licenced personnel, and double rooms for unlicensed personnel.

Burns Harbor has the extra level due to single rooms for all personnel.
ejawac6n

Unread post by ejawac6n »

try writing to BSB perhaps for a fee they would send you a duplicate copy. years ago i knew a person who built a scale model of an ACR vessel. algoma central, for a fee, sent him a duplicate copy of the blueprints. dosnt hurt to ask.

Burns Harbor

Unread post by Guest »

In Today In Great Lakes History for October 8, there is a side by side comparison of the Lewis Wilson Foy and Burns Harbor and I noticed that the Burns Harbor has an additional deck right below the bridge. Looking at photos of other BSB footers it seems like this feature is unique to the Burns Harbor and I'm wondering what it was used for? Is it a guest area for Bethlehem Steel execs? Also if anyone knows where I can find the full drawings or drawing of other vessels in a similar style to this photo, that'd be greatly appreciated.