dunn paper company, port huron

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jared

Re: dunn paper company, port huron

Unread post by Jared »

Guest wrote: November 22, 2023, 4:39 pm
Jared wrote: November 21, 2023, 7:37 pm
Guest wrote: November 21, 2023, 11:47 am I don't recall ever seeing anything about the Dunn Paper Company receiving coal shipments at its Port Huron plant, they may have at one time. The only marine traffic I have ever seen mentioned in relation to this company was a few visits by some saltwater vessels during the early Seaway era to load paper. I believe the Peerless Cement plant just south of the Blue Water Bridge and probably less than a quarter mile from Dunn did receive coal until closing in the early 1970s. I lived in the Port Huron area from the late 1970s to the late 2010s and never heard of any marine traffic into or out of the Dunn Paper Company during that time. I would like to know if I'm incorrect about that.
I would think that the former railroad yard that used to be the site of the Maritime Center would have been used to haul coal up there as docking at the very mouth of the river is risky business.
I don't know if Peeless ever received coal at its dock just below the Blue Water Bridge but it did receive limestone as that is where the Sylvania was unloading when sunk in 1967 after being hit by the Renvoyle. I have attached an image from a slide dated 1966 showing the W. F. White unloading at this dock that has a small section of the Blue Water Bridge in the shot to provide some idea of its proximity to both the bridge and the mouth of the river. I cannot tell what the White is unloading but gauging by the size and consistency of the discharge flow from the unloading boom I would guess limestone. I apologize for digressing from the original question about coal deliveries to the Dunn Paper Company.
What a splendid picture! She looks like the Cedarville.

Unread post by Guest »

Jared wrote: November 21, 2023, 7:37 pm
Guest wrote: November 21, 2023, 11:47 am I don't recall ever seeing anything about the Dunn Paper Company receiving coal shipments at its Port Huron plant, they may have at one time. The only marine traffic I have ever seen mentioned in relation to this company was a few visits by some saltwater vessels during the early Seaway era to load paper. I believe the Peerless Cement plant just south of the Blue Water Bridge and probably less than a quarter mile from Dunn did receive coal until closing in the early 1970s. I lived in the Port Huron area from the late 1970s to the late 2010s and never heard of any marine traffic into or out of the Dunn Paper Company during that time. I would like to know if I'm incorrect about that.
I would think that the former railroad yard that used to be the site of the Maritime Center would have been used to haul coal up there as docking at the very mouth of the river is risky business.
I don't know if Peeless ever received coal at its dock just below the Blue Water Bridge but it did receive limestone as that is where the Sylvania was unloading when sunk in 1967 after being hit by the Renvoyle. I have attached an image from a slide dated 1966 showing the W. F. White unloading at this dock that has a small section of the Blue Water Bridge in the shot to provide some idea of its proximity to both the bridge and the mouth of the river. I cannot tell what the White is unloading but gauging by the size and consistency of the discharge flow from the unloading boom I would guess limestone. I apologize for digressing from the original question about coal deliveries to the Dunn Paper Company.
Attachments
P0828545h.jpg

Unread post by guest »

where the maritime center {boatnerd HQ} is located was this not where winkworth use to receive stone for their cement batching plant?
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Unread post by Guest »

I don't recall ever seeing anything about the Dunn Paper Company receiving coal shipments at its Port Huron plant, they may have at one time. The only marine traffic I have ever seen mentioned in relation to this company was a few visits by some saltwater vessels during the early Seaway era to load paper. I believe the Peerless Cement plant just south of the Blue Water Bridge and probably less than a quarter mile from Dunn did receive coal until closing in the early 1970s. I lived in the Port Huron area from the late 1970s to the late 2010s and never heard of any marine traffic into or out of the Dunn Paper Company during that time. I would like to know if I'm incorrect about that.

dunn paper company, port huron

Unread post by guest »

did the dunn paper plant hear the blue water bridge ever use coal for their boilers? dunn also has a plant in st. catharines, ontario. i believe it use to be know as interlake paper? {no relation to the shipping co.}