Kathy Mckeil

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
algowest

Re: Kathy Mckeil

Unread post by algowest »

Kathy McKeil will have her tanker forebody removed and a new bulker forebody installed, with cranes, not a self-unloading boom.

Unread post by Guest »

Could those stops be for fuel and provisions?
JTT

Unread post by JTT »

Its possible she is taking on (and delivering) multiple loads on her way to China that have her taking an eastward route. She has already stopped in Spain and is due in Cape Town on 1/2/24.

Unread post by Guest »

Cargo ships are avoiding the Red Sea after attacks by Iran- backed Houthi militants on shipping: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/houthis- ... 14302.html

Unread post by guest »

Are the original comments about Kathy McKeil being rebuilt as a self-unloader true? Any comments on overall hull length and carrying capacity mentioned? Foreward-mounted or stern-mounted boom? Algoport was on her way to China for a new forebody, but she went through the Panama. Why go around Africa and Southeast Asia - it's so much farther!

Unread post by Guest »

I do believe that they use the Panama Canal when they are coming from China with the new Algoma builds

Kathy Mckeil

Unread post by Guest »

I see she is going to China by going around Africa instead of taking the Suez Canal. Does anyone know why this would be? I suspect going around Africa adds a lot of time and cost to the trip?

Would it have anything to do with safety concern with the way ships are being targeted in the Red Sea currently?