Blough

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Blough

Unread post by Guest »

It seems like some areas get updated imagery more often. The Mark Barker was stuck in the Detroit River for only five hours but happened to be captured and included in Google Maps.
Screenshot_20231128_220407_Maps.jpg

Unread post by Guest »

I do not know if this is a possibility but it appears that some satellite imagery providers have apparently been using software to filter out objects that are not structural in nature. This has been known to happen with major airports in which the imagery lacks both aircraft and ground support vehicular traffic but clearly shows the terminal buildings, roads, etc. I have also seen this in imagery of parking lots with no vehicles present but on dates in which there was surely traffic present. This has been known among airline enthusiasts for some time. Interestingly this type of imagery seems to come and go in some cases on Google Earth as there was a point at which no aircraft or vehicular traffic was present at Philadelphia International Airport (I believe that was the airport), which is pretty much impossible, only to have this traffic reappear sometime later. I'm assuming that this is being done digitally by either comparing layers of images or comparing several images taken within a short period of time.

I don't know if this would apply to the Blough not showing as being at Conneaut, but more than likely, as Mr. Link has posted, the imagery to which you are referring most likely dates to before the Blough arriving.

Unread post by Guest »

Likely not updated. I did look at MRC in Port Colborne, and two Self unloaders and another ferry vessel awaiting the torch. Not recent or current boats mentioned in the news. Thanks!
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

It is likely that all those commercial mapping sites are using aerial views that are several years old. However most don't tell you that. They usually display a copyright date, but not the actual image date.

Google Earth is an exception, where they do show the actual date the image was taken (provided you are in the history mode.) The newest image of Conneaut they have is from November 2019, before the Blough tow arrived. Since Google Earth and Google Maps usually share the same database, it is likely that is the most recent image Google Maps is showing as well.

Blough

Unread post by Guest »

Looking on various satellite views, Google maps, Apple Maps, SailFlow, Navionics, anything with a satellite view, the Blough is not in the slip in Conneaut. Seems odd that on all my apps the Blough is not visible. Please let me know if she shows up. Thanks!