Algoma transport

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Algoma transport

Unread post by Guest »

Transport is definitely better than the Compass she’s a luxury cruise ship compared to it!

Re: Algoma transport

Unread post by Guest »

Hard to tell what the internal condition of the ship is from the outside but I do agree it looks way too good to be going to the scrappers. This was one of the first ships I remember seeing when I first moved to St. Clair Michigan in 1979 at the age of 11. We lived in an apartment on Riverside Drive and I could just see the tops of the ships over the houses, and in a small gap between a pair of homes, as they moved up and down the river. The Canadian Transport, which would have been in its first year of operation, caught my eye due to its large stack casings. As the ship often called at the Lambton Generating Station on the opposite side of the river it was quite common to see it at St. Clair. I recall one time that year being down at the boardwalk with my uncle and making a comment about the ship as it passed by. He glanced at it quickly and simply said, "Oh, it's one of those new ugly ones." Although the traditional lake freighter design has always been my favorite, for some reason I never thought that about this ship and it is hard to see it go.
Mn bob

Algoma transport

Unread post by Mn bob »

Is the Algoma transport in worse shape than it looks? Seems like a pretty solid ship to be sending to scrap. There are a lot of ships still sailing on the lakes that are older and in worse shape than the transport, I know they have a new build on the way but couldn’t they have used this ship for the salt runs in stead of the newer ones?