Clamp requirement?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Clamp requirement?

Unread post by Guest »

There are some who have said some hatches on Fitz were distorted enough from the bending and twisting that all clamps could not be fastened. A sledge had to be used to seat covers on coamings. This may help to explain why some clamps were undamaged. Interesting to hear all these years later.
hayhugh

Unread post by hayhugh »

Clark coming thru Soo today with all clamps in place!

Unread post by Guest »

This is surprising for this time of year, even in the absence of any impending storm activity. If this is happening in the modern era how uniform was this practice in the past? Appears to give some credence to certain controversial theories.
hayhugh

Unread post by hayhugh »

Sykes left Duluth this afternoon and every clamp was in place. The Clark the other day had corner clamps and every other clamp on the sides of the hatchs.

Unread post by Guest »

I thought it was given that all hatch clamps are secured during fall/winter sailing operations. I know that any suggestion otherwise has, in the past, been sharply criticized in connection to a well known accident that I will not name.
hayhugh

Clamp requirement?

Unread post by hayhugh »

Saw the Clark leaving Superior entrance this afternoon, down to her marks, but not all clamps on... Is this normal or at Captains discretion?