Algoma

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Capt B

Re: Algoma

Unread post by Capt B »

1)Most of the tankers with Algoma tankers are 77' or 78 ' beam except Nova and Canada.
2)The main runs during seaway season are Sarnia or Nanticoke to Oakville and Sarnia and Nanticoke to Tracy or Montréal. A lot of locks transits.
3)Tankers are much stronger construction as they are all Class 1A reinforced for ice.
4)Tankers are submitted to third party OCIMF ( Oil Companies International Maritime Forum ) audits every 6 months ; cosmetics is one of the chapter of the audit.You fail the Audit and the ship does not work....
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Also keep in mind this as well. The Algoma tankers will sometimes make voyages out to the Seaway but not too often as they haul and carry products some of them at least from Sarnia to Nanticoke and vice versa. Yes, I know and realize too that their tankers do make a few trips to the Soo and sometimes to Green Bay. The point I’m hoping to make is that their tankers do not transit locks like at the Welland and Seaway as often as Algoma’s regular fleet of vessels if that makes any sense? Also consider, Algoma ships carry salt at least a few do sometimes and salt can be hard on a ship’s hull. The tankers never ever carry anything other than Petroleum Products as that’s what they were designed and built for. Hope that my information and explanation of all of this helps to explain all of this.
algowest

Unread post by algowest »

Old Sailor - Main reason for tankers in general to appear less rusty (hullsides), is they typically have less lock transits, whether that's Soo or Welland Canal. Rubbing guide walls entering the locks and lock walls themselves in the full Seaway size lakers takes a toll on their hulls and paint. Whereas most tankers are less than full Seaway-size width and length and don't impact the guide or lock walls as much.
Old Sailor

Algoma

Unread post by Old Sailor »

Why is it that algoma TANKERS look so good yet their other ships look so uncared for.