Algoma Bear

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Algoma Bear

Unread post by Denny »

Latest update has them due now at Sept-Iles, Quebec on April 30 in the morning subject to change.
Kymosobbie

Unread post by Kymosobbie »

Inching closer
about to round 3rd base. Heading home
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-26 5.38.36 PM.png
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

They arrived at the Pacific Anchorage to the Panama Canal on April 11 and transited the Canal on April 15. At last check, they were due at Sept-Iles, Quebec about April 26 at that point. I don’t know yet if they will be loading there or if that is where eventually they will be re-flagged and registered Canadian at? Right now, they are registered from Tuvalu andI think have a foreign crew aboard for the delivery trip and maiden voyage from China to Canada. I recently sent a news article to boatnerd about them for the News Page so hope in time at least anyway, they will put the article up on the News Page. Thanks for the updates on the Algoma Bear. Looking forward to seeing them sometime in 2024 up on the St. Clair River. With Calm Seas and Fair Winds to the Algoma Bear as they make their long trip and journey home to Canada. Safe Passages and may you have a safe and successful career as well.
Kymosobbie

the Bear is loose in the Caribbean
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-15 5.32.22 PM.png
Kymosobbie

Algoma Bear is now listed on the Marine Traffic website
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-10 11.42.00 AM.png
Kymosobbie

currently NW of the Galápagos Island
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-07 2.16.35 PM.png
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Any further updates on them? Thought they were due to arrive on or around April 6 at the Panama Canal. Any information is appreciated and thanks in advance as well.
Kymosobbie

could be the reason why the BEAR is so far south
check out the ocean currents

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/o ... 1,0.69,746
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Per VesselFinder, it looks like they stopped briefly in Papeete, Tahiti. Probably for bunkers and/or supplies.
Attachments
Algoma bear.jpg

Unread post by guest »

Update: Just found a site that has a position listed as four hours old. North of Bora Bora, still showing an April 6th ETA at Panama:https://directory.shipfix.com/ship/algo ... MO-9619309

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: March 21, 2024, 7:49 am Am I missing something here? I understand its a big ocean but I've been regularly searching for it and it has never shown up anywhere for me at least.
Yes, you need to upgrade to a satellite based AIS subscription to track vessels across the ocean. Shore based systems systems miss a lot. Although various shore based systems (other than Marine Traffic) did pick up the Algoma Bear in February as it went past the Philippines. Left the Batangas Anchorage on February 24, showing an ETA to Panama of April 6th. That ETA has likely changed in the past 27 or so days since they transmitted it.

Unread post by Guest »

Yet the AIS for the Algoma Bear has not pinged since back in December of 2023 and a search shows it never left Taiching. Am I missing something here? I understand its a big ocean but I've been regularly searching for it and it has never shown up anywhere for me at least.
Kymosobbie

Algoma Bear

Latest location of the BEAR ... 1200 miles south of the Hawaiian islands
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-20 4.18.53 PM.png