Algoma Compass

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Algoma Compass

Unread post by Denny »

Yes I saw that too on the boatnerd AIS Ashland69 and yes indeed it does appear that the Algoma Guradian is in for an extended lay up now in Goderich and it does it appear also that they are laid up along the North Wall for now in Goderich. Business must not be too good I take it for Algoma right now with the Guardian laid up in Goderich, the Compass in Sarnia laid up and the Leitch still in lay up at Owen Sound. The Leitch’s lay up status I do understand IF the new Algoma Endeavour someday is to be its replacement? I guess that Algoma might be waiting for the completion and delivery of the Endeavour from Croatia?
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

Denny wrote: May 3, 2024, 10:07 am To load or for continued lay up there?
Still shown at what I think is the north dock (not sure). Appears like continued layup.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To load or for continued lay up there?
ashland69

Algoma Guardian is now in Goderich!
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

ashland69 wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:49 am I see its in Sarnia and appears inactive. Anyone know what's going on?
Apparently demand is soft since the winter was so mild this year
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Possible lay up maybe due to lack of cargoes, demand and business maybe? That would be my guess anyway. Does seem a bit strange that Algoma would have them fit out then from Port Weller and the Drydocks then sail to Sarnia and remain there! Remember as well that Algoma still has in addition to the Compass, both the Algoma Guardian in Sarnia and the John D. Leitch in Owen Sound both of which are still laid up and have not sailed so far in the 2024 shipping season. The Leitch could be finished with the Algoma Endeavour being built in Croatia. As for the Algoma Guardian, it may be a lack of cargoes along with the demands and business that could be keeping her at the wall still in lay up?
ashland69

Algoma Compass

I see its in Sarnia and appears inactive. Anyone know what's going on?