Hatch Covers

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
ashland69

Re: Hatch Covers

Unread post by ashland69 »

Scott wrote: May 5, 2024, 10:17 am This has been discussed before I'm guessing. When a vessel pulls into port, when does the process of removing the hatch covers began? If I recall, there are/were times in good weather where the hatch covers were removed before the ship pulled into port? Of course, the USCG may have put this practice to bed. I do recall lakers sailing under the lift bridge in Duluth with the hatch covers already removed. Just curious.
When I sailed on the Ashland many years ago, a major issue was what we were carrying. Since we carried only ore and coal, our main considerations were the weather and lake surface. If it was nice weather and calm seas, the hatches would or could be removed some time before getting into port. If the weather and seas were threatening or rough, we often waiting to get dockside. Though we never carried grain, the hatches would have been left in place until dockside, and even then, only the hatches that needed to be opened, were opened. After all, we wouldn't want to get the grain wet or have it be blown around in a stiff wind. Hope that helps.
Scott

Hatch Covers

Unread post by Scott »

This has been discussed before I'm guessing. When a vessel pulls into port, when does the process of removing the hatch covers began? If I recall, there are/were times in good weather where the hatch covers were removed before the ship pulled into port? Of course, the USCG may have put this practice to bed. I do recall lakers sailing under the lift bridge in Duluth with the hatch covers already removed. Just curious.