Crisp Point Light

Open to discussion on all lighthouses from the Great Lakes and beyond.
jsleckrone

Re: Crisp Point Light

Unread post by jsleckrone »

Crisp Point is my favorite Lighthouse. Can't wait for the relighting of this beautiful lighthouse in May 2013! To think this was destined to be completely demolished before being saved in the middle 1990's. To think it will again shine at night 6 months of the year. The drive in is 45 minutes on dirt roads and make sure you have plenty of Gasoline in your vehicle! No gas stations anywhere near the lighthouse. The resort with gas nearby burned down in last years forest fire.
Roger Pashby

Unread post by Roger Pashby »

Traveled out to Crisp Point two years ago this Fall, on our way to visiting all the Lighthouses in MI. We are volunteer keepers at Big Sable, Little Sable, and North Breakwater Lights in Ludington,MI, when we are not working at our paying jobs. We felt it was important to see Crisp Point, as it was my Uncles last assigned Lighthouse before he retired.
There is a lot to be said for the Light Keepers that stayed out there and endured the harsh winters and hot summers, along with all the tasks that had to be done. My conviction is that the USCG has done a great disservice by ignoring the "Great Lights" of the Lakes. Millions of dollars of fine lenses and brass frames were lost due to the lack of concern for what they owned.
Shine on Crisp Point, we love you! Thank you Crisp Point volunteers, and Luce County for saving and protecting our light!
Steve B

Unread post by Steve B »

Crisp Point was well worth the drive! Not a road I would want to drive every day, but well worth it. Spent almost three hours back there The volunteers have done a fantastic job on that light considering some of the older pictures I saw.
KariAnn

Unread post by KariAnn »

Calendar shows that there will be volunteers at Crisp Point this weekend. Wish it was me we live in WI. Have to wait til next July to return. People do see deer and bears. We have yet to see a bear but they are seeing them during the day. We arrive late at night and leave early mornings due to the size of our travel trailer. The road is a bit narrow the last few miles. The road improves each year we come up. The road through the Pictured Rocks is now paved. You must have parked at logslide and hiked in. We did that too years ago. This year we parked at the campground further down and then it is about 1 1/2 mile walk in. The logslide now has a nicely paved parking lot along with the campground. Went to Miners Beach on the way back. Awesome!! Kid Rock filmed Born Free video there and certainly upped tourism to this beautiful area. Crisp Point does have some souvineirs but being so desolate cannot take credit cards. Have a great time!!
Steve B

Unread post by Steve B »

Wow, thanks KariAnn!

I made it back to Au Sable back in 03 or 05, and I remember the drive back there, plus a long (but quiet and beautiful) walk from the lot to the lighthouse. Was quite the drive on that road then. I had heard the drive to Crisp Point was the same, but then read recently that the road was worked on a bit.
Am looking forward to making the trip back there. Supposed to be nice all weekend from what I have read. Is there a lot of wildlife to be seen on the drive in?

Thanks again
KariAnn

Unread post by KariAnn »

We are volunteer keepers during the summer @ Crisp Point. You will find it well worth your time to make the trip back. It is approximately 18 miles off the main road. We have plenty of cars who make the trip in. Lot of all terrrain vehicles come back on trail from Paradise, also snowmobiles in winter. Do not recommend coming on large motorcycles. Had an accident this summer where bikes tipped over in sand. Lady broke leg and had to wait hours for ambulance to come back. No food or drinks for sale but I recommend bringing back a picnic lunch or small grill. Lots of benches to sit on. Keep feet up on benches if flies are out. Tower is open as long as someone is volunteering. You will find Crisp Point and her beach absolutely amazing. Not a lot of people at one time either. Some people stay an hour some half a day, some longer than that. Lots of rock pickers! The beach is very desolate. Bring back a kayak and head to Vermillion Pt. I could go on and on about this treasure. More info @ Crisppointlight.org. Enjoy your visit
Wayne

Unread post by Wayne »

Yes you can get back there. Takes a while, you want to make sure you go slow and take your time. It is absolutely beautiful back there. The friends of Crisp Point should be very proud of them selves. There is a gift shop, washrooms and it is handicap friendly. You can climb the tower too. It is a crib light so you can feel the movement under your feet.
Steve B

Crisp Point Light

Unread post by Steve B »

I read recently that one can get back to the Crisp Point lighthouse. It said that the road off of the main drag is mostly sand and gravel? Is it doable by car? I remember a few years ago when I went back to Au Sable light and the road to get there. I acutally followed a snowplow (and this was in the summer) plowing the sand to get rid of all the holes.