Deckhand Overboard in Lake Superior

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Russ

Re: Deckhand Overboard in Lake Superior

Unread post by Russ »

The individual was Scott Richards who was sailing as a Watchman on the Buckeye. Depending on which version of the story you want to believe, he jumped/fell overboard on 10/11/1999 and swam ashore at Copper Harbor, Michigan at 3AM.
Dennis

Unread post by Dennis »

Thanks for the info! I only heard the story without any details. I appreciate the help.
Dennis

Unread post by Guest »

I believe this happened off the Keewenaw Peninsula and he swam ashore in the Copper Harbor area. If you do a site search on the old board you'll find lots of past discussion.
DavidFrank

Unread post by DavidFrank »

The guy went off the Buckeye of Oglebay Norton Co. He was off duty at the time. His coat and cell phone were left on the deck. He said that he was securing barrels on the upper deck of the stern when he fell over. Some people point out that he was a certified scuba diver. I'm sure others have more details.
Dennis

Deckhand Overboard in Lake Superior

Unread post by Dennis »

Does anyone have any information about a deckhand that went overboard on an oreboat outside of Duluth? I guess the man swam three miles to shore and survived. Any additional details would be great! Thanks for any assistance.