Fate of S.S. Gleneagles

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
wheelerg

Re: Fate of S.S. Gleneagles

Unread post by wheelerg »

ashland69 wrote:One more thing about the Gleneagles. If memory serves me correctly, I think Glenealges was tied up at Morton Terminal in Windsor during an SIU (Seafarer's International Union) strike in July or August 1967. On board was a full load of coal for Courtright. Since Windsor was the first Canadian port she reached following the start of the strike, she had to stop in Windsor and tie up, instead of going on to Courtright to unload. Anyway, during the strike, her coal cargo got so hot, there was concern the coal might spontaneously combust! So, even with the strike in full swing, CSL had to put a crew on board, got her up to Courtight to unload and then brought her back to Windsor for continued layup. Just thot you'd find that interesting.
It is all good info, my uncle should be happy to hear this news.
Wheelsman

Unread post by Wheelsman »

This was a grand old boat. I last saw her at Fairport Harbor, Oh in 82 or 83, although she looked tired. I recall several pictures of this boat showing what appears to be some damage to the starboard pilothouse enclosed bridge wing, specifically the overhead and window awning. Did she clip a bridge or something?
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

One more thing about the Gleneagles. If memory serves me correctly, I think Glenealges was tied up at Morton Terminal in Windsor during an SIU (Seafarer's International Union) strike in July or August 1967. On board was a full load of coal for Courtright. Since Windsor was the first Canadian port she reached following the start of the strike, she had to stop in Windsor and tie up, instead of going on to Courtright to unload. Anyway, during the strike, her coal cargo got so hot, there was concern the coal might spontaneously combust! So, even with the strike in full swing, CSL had to put a crew on board, got her up to Courtight to unload and then brought her back to Windsor for continued layup. Just thot you'd find that interesting.
wheelerg

I can''t thank you guys enough, that is great info and the pics are great to have, i will be forwarding all this stuff to my uncle, thanks again for the great help. this site is amazing for resources and info.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

ashland69 wrote:...I'm not sure when it was converted to a self-unloader, but I seem to recall it was sometime in the late 50s or early 60s.
She was converted 1962-63 at Port Arthur SBCoLtd, Port Arthur, Ontario.
ashland69

I see that only one hoto of the Gleneagles got through. Here's the other two.
Attachments
gleneagles-selfunloader.jpg
gleneagles-bulker.jpg
ashland69

The Gleneagles was built at Midland and delivered to, I believe, the Playfair fleet in 1925. I'm not sure when it was converted to a self-unloader, but I seem to recall it was sometime in the late 50s or early 60s. She was sold to the Reoch (Westdale Shipping, et al) people in 1978 and renamed Silverdale. Scrapped in 1984.

An interesting note about the Gleneagles is that when it was taken over by Canada Steamship Lines around 1930, Mrs. Playfair insisted that it not be renamed while under CSL control.

I going to try to send some pics I have of her. Two as Gleneagles as a flatback and as a self-unloader and one as Silverdale.
Attachments
silverdale.jpg
wheelerg

I assume broken up is the same as scrapped? thanks very much for the info.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

She was broken up at Windsor, Ontario, during the latter half of 1984.
wheelerg

Fate of S.S. Gleneagles

Looking for any info on what happened to the above noted ship, my uncle served on that ship in the early 1950's. any help woould be appreciated, i have searched on Google and only found info that was about 30 years old. it was a Great lakes freighter at that time.

Gary