Top 25 List of Great Lakes Ships?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
tommyd

Re: Top 25 List of Great Lakes Ships?

Unread post by tommyd »

How did everyone forget Cliffs Victory. She was a one of a kind for sure.
C4 Fan

Unread post by C4 Fan »

You can't leave out the C-4-S-A4 conversions, especially the Nicholson-Republic triplets, the Tom M. Girdler class. Detroit's Speed Queens!
kariann

Unread post by kariann »

Guest wrote:Thanks everyone this is so helpful. Im getting married this weekend and instead of us having numbered tables, we will have tables named after Great Lakes Freighters, That include a short description on the card.
Next I need to find a clip art or icon of a traditional forward cabin ore boat to put on each card above the boats name. Having trouble finding that.
thanks again all!
Brandon's picture of the St.Mary's Callenger at sunset is an awesome silohouette. I believe it is located on the regional discussion board.
EdOtter

Unread post by EdOtter »

Does anyone have any suggestions to a good piece of clip art or icon for those cards to go along with the name? I'm looking for a basic black silhouette of an ore boat (forward cabin Fitz type). Ive searched google images and clip art sites like crazy

Unread post by Guest »

In addition to SS Joseph H Thomson, I would include a T-2 conversion, sich as SS Red Wing or Leon Falk, Jr.
EdOtter

Unread post by EdOtter »

Thanks everyone this is so helpful. Im getting married this weekend and instead of us having numbered tables, we will have tables named after Great Lakes Freighters, That include a short description on the card.
Next I need to find a clip art or icon of a traditional forward cabin ore boat to put on each card above the boats name. Having trouble finding that.
thanks again all!
bhale849

Unread post by bhale849 »

Add to my list of Ship "Firsts":

Str. Col. James M. Schoonmaker (Now the Museum-Ship Willis B. Boyer in Toledo) Launched in 1911. Then World's Largest Bulk Freighter. First Laker with a 64-Foot Beam.

Str. Lemoyne Launched in 1927, Scrapped in 1969. Largest Laker of Her time. First Laker to have a 70-Foot Beam.

MV. Carport/G1 Launched in 1950. Sold Off-Lakes in 1962. A very innovative vessel. First Integrated Tug-Barge. First tank-vessel built solely to haul food-products. First vessel on the Lakes with a Bow-Thruster.

Str. Joseph H.Thompson Rebuilt from a WWII C-4 Freighter to a Lakes Bulker in 1951. Converted to an ATB Tug-Barge in 1986. Still in Service under Upper Lakes Towing ownership. Longest Freighter in the world in 1951 at 714-Feet. Largest Laker of Her time.

Str. George M. Humphrey (2) Launched in 1954, Scrapped in 1986. Largest Laker of Her time. First Laker with a 75-Foot Beam.

MV.Olive L. Moore/Wiltranco Converted by Wilson Marine Transit from the 600-Foot Str. Horace S. Wilkinson (2) in 1963. Scrapped in 1973. Originally pushed by a McAllister tug with a raised Pilothouse. First Articulated Tug Barge (ATB) on the Lakes. Notoriously hard to control.

Unread post by Guest »

The long inactive John Sherwin is also a straight decker in the American fleet.

Unread post by Guest »

The Edward L. Ryerson is the only straight-deck bulk carrier still part of the American fleet on the Great Lakes. She was the last U.S. laker to be built as a steamer and without self-unloader and the Last lake boat to be built at Manitowoc, WI shipyards.

Unread post by Guest »

Lemoyne should be on the list. Biggest carrier for a long time, plus she opened the last Welland Canal in 1932.

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks everyone this is so helpful. Im getting married this weekend and instead of us having numbered tables, we will have tables named after Great Lakes Freighters, That include a short description on the card.
thanks again all!
Lou Gerard

Unread post by Lou Gerard »

Don't forget about the J.B. Ford for being a survivor of the 1913 storm and for her old fashion looks. Also Maumee for being the second oldest ship sailing and very active in her old age. And for being the last of the great 600 footers at 604 ft. and having her original pilothouse. S.T. Crapo as one the last freighters to run with a triple expansion engine plus her good looks. Heron bay ( AKA J. Pierpont Morgan) as the first of the 600 footers.And the great musuem ship Valley Camp. I guess I could go on and on.
[
MarkR

Unread post by MarkR »

How about the Lemoyne?
dano

Unread post by dano »

the Harry Coulby and L E Block looking for the biggest load of their time may need the list.
Les Weston

Unread post by Les Weston »

Don't forget the William G. Mather, the Willis Boyer and the william Irvin, all great museum ships.
Northup

Unread post by Northup »

Manitoulin, Leon Falk Jr, Rimouski, Sharon, Agawa Canyon, Algosound, Rogers City, Ojibway, Charles M Beeghly, Maritime Trader, J.W. Shelley, Canadian Provider, Edward L Ryerson and Algoway. Just a short list of my favorites.
bhale849

Unread post by bhale849 »

I would include all of the "First of Their Kind" Ships:

Augustus B. Wolvin 1st ship with steel arches supporting the deck instead of stancheons. Allowed for an unobstructed hold. This design became the standard. Model for generations of ships.
Wyandotte 1st large, steel, practical, self-unloader.
Wilfred Sykes 1st with enclosed poop-deck. Streamlined, fast (16 mph). Model for a generation of ships.
Silver Isle 1st large Lakes bulker with ALL accommodations aft.
Stewart J.Cort 1st 1,000-Footer.
James R. Barker 1st 1,000-Footer completely assembled on the Lakes. All accommodations aft. The model for all later Footers.
charlie - soo

Unread post by charlie - soo »

Shipwrecks: Mataafa, L.C. Waldo, Charles S. Price, Bannockburn, John B. Cowle, Anna. C. Minch, Hamonic, Noronic, Sydney Smith Jr., Cartiercliffe Hall, Tanker Jupiter and Windoc (see You-Tube video).

Unread post by Guest »

a correction to my comment the "Lake Freighter" discussion is in Wikipedia, not google. I would add to the list icebreakers be they Canadian or American. The old/new Mackinac and Duluth built 180's are American examples. The Westcott mail boat needs to be on the list, as does the "Christmas Tree Ship" Rouse Simmons.

Unread post by Guest »

A beginner would do well to google "Lake Freighter" as much of what you're looking for is discussed there. Famous boats, events, etc. I also suggest you track down a copy of Mark Thompson's book "Of Steamboats and Sailors". It gives an excellent background of the evolution of the great lakes shipping industry. I think your list should include the Eastland, one of the worst disasters on the lakes and it occurred right in Chicago. Next, the Ramon De Larrinaga was the first saltie to travel the newly opened St. Lawrence Seaway and sail to Duluth. The Hennepin was the first self unloader. The Sykes is recognized as the prototype for the conventional laker (replaced now by the aft-enders). Lastly, a ferry boat needs to be included such as the Badger, North American/South American, Milwaukee Clipper, whatever. Have fun with your research! I hope you share your list with us when you're done.