Fredrick Pabts steamboat captain

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Fredrick Pabts steamboat captain

Unread post by Guest »

You are correct that Miller/Coors now brews Pabst using their excess capacity. It is a common industry practice today. Use of efficiency and all that.

The old Pabst Brewery is still standing in Milwaukee. It has had a couple of investment groups try to breathe new life into the old buildings. I believe there are efforts underway now. The Blatz Brewery, also in Milwaukee, was successfully turned into condos about 20 years ago. Hopefully the Pabst Brewery investors will have the same success.

I was working at one of the Milwaukee TV stations in 1986-1987 when Pabst closed. The new guys had 33 years of senority. In the early days they employed over 10,000 people at that one location.

Amazing how things change.
Brent

Unread post by Brent »

Pabst also had a ship that had beer kegs for mast tops.

Unread post by Guest »

The Pabst (correct spelling) mansion, built by Capt Pabst, and Pabst theater are well worth visitng if you travel to Milwaukee. The mansion was going to be torn down in the 70's to make room for a parking structure but it was saved from demolition.
Jay

Unread post by Jay »

We are dedicating the breakroom in our meeting center at the Dec ISMA Chicago Lodge 3 to Capt. Pabst.
seadog

Unread post by seadog »

did you know the pabts brewery in milwaukee is shut down and they are making pabst at the miller brewery now but it still is being made in milwaukee
sgrima

Fredrick Pabts steamboat captain

Unread post by sgrima »

One of my friends pointed out on a box of Pabts Blue Ribbon that the owner Fredrick Pabts was a steamboat captain on the Lakes.

I did some research and found out that in 1849 he sailed as a cabin boy with the Goodrich Lines and in 1857 became Captain of the SS Huron of the Goodrich Lines.

After a bad storm in 1863 where is vessel was grounded he left a life of sailing and worked with his father-in-law in a brewing business. Eventually founding Pabts Brewing Company in 1889 which ended up becoming one of the largest brewing companies in the United States.

"And now you know the rest of the story."