Buxton in Grand Haven

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Chief

Re: Buxton in Grand Haven

Unread post by Chief »

There was a sport they were going to dredge in a river and the bottom was so contaminated that the EPA wouldn't let them dredge. They said that leaving it there was better then disturbing it where if would flow down the river and contaminate more area.
Russ

Unread post by Russ »

All dredging in the navigable waters of the United States are subject to a Federal permitting process that includes chemical analysis and bioassay testing prior to dredging. If the results indicate that the sediments to be dredged are "clean", the dredged material may be disposed of on an existing sand beach or in a designated disposal area out in the lake. If the dredged material is considered "contaminated", the material must be placed in a designated on-land disposal area.
BeeZee

Unread post by BeeZee »

How are they dragging the pipe or adding pipe as they go. I am also going to assume that the soil is going into Lake Michigan instead of on the beach. Beach goers wouldn't like that.
SkeetownNerd

Unread post by SkeetownNerd »

It is going to the beach, pipes are on the side of the channel leading to the beach.
BeeZee

Buxton in Grand Haven

Unread post by BeeZee »

The Buxton is in Grand Haven http://www.grandhaventribune.com/harbor-cam dreging. They are sweeping back and forth going upriver. What I would like to know is, where is the soil going? I don't see a barge or piping.

Bernie