Capt. William Joseph Smith

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Capt. William Joseph Smith

Unread post by Guest »

In 1980 I relieved Capt. Bill Smith aboard the H C Heimbecker. This was my fist command as Captain. The Soo River Co. said I had to make a trip with Capt. Bill from Owen Sound to Duluth and back. He would show me the ropes. We stayed up late the first night and he explained everything to me.He really knew his weather, on the way back to the galley he sniff the air and said there is a storm brewing from the NE.18 hours later we had a NE gale. Sonny he said ( he use to call me Sonny) when you see a storm a brewing head for the nearest anchorage area and make love to the north shore of Lake Superior that will be your best friend. He was right I took all his advice and put it to work for me for 33 years and never had any trouble in all that time. Capt. Bill Smith was one of a kind. I am sorry for his passing.
Capt. R Metz
Sinbad

Capt. William Joseph Smith

Unread post by Sinbad »

Captain Bill Smith passed away Monday, January 3. He retired as captain from the Soo River Company. He was one of the few remaining steam boat captains of the old school. Please refer to the link shown for his death notice.

http://yourlifemoments.ca/sitepages/obi ... oId=453070