BBC Jade

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
oldseadog

Re: BBC Jade

Unread post by oldseadog »

Yes I was well aware of that its the shortest route to Europe, but some European bound vessels prefer the Cabot Starit, due to weather, this past week the Cabot departed St Johns NFLD for Montreal, Cabot went the long way around through the Strait of Belle Isle due to adverse weather in the Cabot Strait. The Strait of Belle Isle gets heavily choked up with ice and its impassable.

Unread post by Guest »

The shortest distance to Europe is via Belle Isle Strait but weather routeing has the option of either Belle Isle Strait (ice and icebergs depending) or Cabot Strait.
oldseadog

Unread post by oldseadog »

Capt. I noticed the BBC Jade when east bound was north of Anticosti Island, Quebec, did BBC Jade use the Strait of Belle Isle instead of the Cabot Strait?. Is that a shorter route or is it because of the weather in the Canot Strait?.
Capt-Geoff

Unread post by Capt-Geoff »

Those containers will be carrying the support frames etc. used for the transportation of the windmill parts into Windsor. For info I was the Master of the "BBC Greenland" that called Buffalo and Windsor with windmill blades from Santos, Brazil in late October and then shipped rock salt out of Goderich to Ellesmere Port in the UK for the UK Highways Agency - that salt has long been spread on the roads after the snow/ice that we had in December!
MattM

Unread post by MattM »

She picked them up at the Southwest Sales Dock in Windsor. That dock usually takes aggregates and lately windmill parts. Seems to be an odd place to load containers.
ianmackenzie

BBC Jade

Unread post by ianmackenzie »

Hi. I just saw that nice pic of the Jade in todays news photo section and I was curious what's in those containers she is carrying. Anybody know?