St Clair River Wreck

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jared

Re: St Clair River Wreck

Unread post by Jared »

Yes that's him. He is one of the earliest river divers and knows the stories of most wrecks in the area. His property is littered with wonderful shipwreck items. He would be my top reference when talking about wrecks.

Unread post by Guest »

You mentioned Fred Duffy, I believe he was the next door neighbor of my Grandparents who lived on the River about 20 houses downriver from the McClouth Stone Yard - same guy? If so, his son worked aboard one of Ford "rigs" (if memory serves me correctly) and would have the skipper dial up a Salute whenever they passed.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I do not think you will find it written down with the exception of a possible coast guard report. I talked to a old timer by the name of Fred Duffy. He told me the story. I also heard it was scuttled but I would take Duffy's story over that.
RiverRock

Unread post by RiverRock »

Thanks everyone for the info. Jared, can you tell me where you found the info on the 50's incident involving the lightly loaded barge? I would like to read more about it. Thank you.
detroitrocks

Unread post by detroitrocks »

Hey, thanks guys for that info. I was beginning to think I was seeing things in the past. At least I now know that I'm not the only one who has seen or had problems with this wreck in the past. Years ago I lost many fishing set ups on this barge. I find it more then a little odd that our Coast Guard or some other governmental agency hasn't marked it for safety purposes (as I'm sure there is more then just a few of us who have had navigational issues with it). I admit I haven't done a ton of research on the wreck, but I've yet to see any written documentation concerning it. It's been interesting hearing from everyone regarding it and I appreciate everyones input. Have a good day.
jared

Unread post by jared »

I looked into it more. The barge was sunk in the 1950s after it took on water while carrying a light cargo. I hoped this is the answer you were looking for.
TedC

Unread post by TedC »

As mentioned previously there are at least a couple of old wrecks in the little eddy just south of the docks (visible during low water), and one that I believe is relatively more recent than those (relative being 50's or 60's) much closer to the dock and very near shore but in the "navigable" part of the river. I've made the trip up the river hundreds of times delivering sailing yachts and strictly avoided the shoreline in that area after being warned of the barge in the river by an "old timer" about 30 years ago and hearing firsthand from someone who'd hit it pretty solid with a small boat at 4' draft (but fortunately somehow only suffered minor damage). I have it marked on my charts and in my GPS, unfortunately I have no info on the ID but it's there. I hang a bit out in the river there when hugging the shoreline to stay out of the current during upbound trips.

Unread post by Guest »

Never heard of a metal barge sunk in that area. The shipyards that were there worked with wood and the probability of a metal wreck connected to them is very remote. I don't know the names of the vessels but a small book I read 15 years ago talked about Marine City, the shipyards and some ships. The l.ocal history group in the city may help you. I was from Algonac and I worked at the DNR site. I saw the ribs above and just below the water many times.
RiverRock

Thanks Ron for that info. Do you know the name(s) of those wrecks that you speak of? The water depth off shore from McLouth and the DNR public access site would not permit any wrecks being visable. Just south of the DNR area sits a small cove-like environment to the river that is consideably shallow and is the area often referred to as the Salt Docks by those famalia with the history of the area. I assume the wrecks you speak of are pobably not the large steel barge that is sunk in the area I speak of. Are you from that area? Yes, I am. I grew up fishing, boating and enjoying the area. Nobody I ever ran across could tell me the name or history of that sunken barge and that is why I wonder if any boatnerds out there could be of help. Thanks again.
Ron

Unread post by Ron »

Just south of the mouth of the Belle River and also below the McLouth Stone Yard is the remains of three wrecks. The ribs of one of these wrecks can be seen under water and in low water is visable. These wrecks are actually from when the shipyards were still in operation in the Belle River many years ago. They were old ships with no useful life still in them and they were stripped of any thing of value before being settled to the bottom. I am speaking of the remains visable off the DNR boat launch site in Marine City MI. The other two wrecks are not visable.
RiverRock

Thanks for that suggestion, but after reading more about the Badger State I can rule that ship out. Fawn Island is on the Canadian side of the river and this barge that I refer to is not a wooden vessel. If it helps at all, this wreck that I am inquiring about is located just south of the McClouth Shipyard. I am sure someone out there, ie sailor, would know about this wreck since the various ships that unload gravel and salt at the McClouth yard would most likely be knowledgeable about this unmarked obstruction.
jared

Unread post by jared »

I think you might be talking about the Badger state
RiverRock

St Clair River Wreck

I am seeking info concerning a sunken barge located on the U.S. side of the St. Clair River just south of Marine City, south of the mouth of the Bell River and a very short distance north of the Salt Docks. I know that this barge has been there since at least the early 70's and is visable just below the surface of the water. Thank you.