St. Marys River reporting history.

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
WE4805

St. Marys River reporting history.

Unread post by WE4805 »

Hello all, I have yet another question.

I know today, when vessels transit the St. Marys River, they are required to call in one hour prior to entering the system, giving their cargo, destination and deepest draft. After entering, they have call in points that they have to report at.

One of my questions is, in the 1950's, did they still call in one hour prior to entering Gros Cap or Detour? Also, the USCG Lookout stations were in use then. I know the lookouts had a land line to the Coast Guard Base, who in turn transferred the traffic list over to the lock master. Did upbound vessels call in to the Soo when passing the look outs, call the lookouts by radio, or did they rely on the person in the look out towers to record their name and draft?

My next question is, when did vessels quit blowing for the locks? I know when they just entered the harbor, or were down at Big Point, they would blow two long blast and two short blast, indicating they wanted to lock through. This was answered by the lights on the east/west center piers. What year was it when vessels started calling the lockmaster (then WUD 31, now WUE 21)?

Any and all information would be of great help :)

Bob Haworth

[email protected]