What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Bookworm »

For the past three days, despite sunny skies, brisk winds from the north and northeast have kept temperatures unseasonably cold. Today it never got into the 30°s!

Drove to the lakeside park and walked the length of the pier but didn't stay long because the wind gave me a headache -- like when you eat ice cream too fast.
Attachments
Lake Huron showing an unusual tinge of green -- maybe left-over from St. Patrick's Day.
Lake Huron showing an unusual tinge of green -- maybe left-over from St. Patrick's Day.
Care to sit and enjoy the view?  No?????
Care to sit and enjoy the view? No?????
Bookworm

Some serious consideration went into choosing these footer fotos. The only one missing is Burns Harbor, because she generally runs from Superior to Burns Harbor. Presque Isle is with the tugs & ATBs I posted yesterday. Enjoy!
Attachments
Formerly with Oglebay Norton, and known as "Columbia Star".
Formerly with Oglebay Norton, and known as "Columbia Star".
Now in her third lifetime. In the first, she was "Lewis Wilson Foy," and in her second, "Oglebay Norton."
Now in her third lifetime. In the first, she was "Lewis Wilson Foy," and in her second, "Oglebay Norton."
Emerging from an early morning fog bank on the St. Clair River.
Emerging from an early morning fog bank on the St. Clair River.
The former 'George A. Stinson," on opening day (2005) down-bound at Mission Point, Sault Ste. Marie, MI.
The former 'George A. Stinson," on opening day (2005) down-bound at Mission Point, Sault Ste. Marie, MI.
Leaving the Sarnia fuel dock, in a cloud of sea smoke.
Leaving the Sarnia fuel dock, in a cloud of sea smoke.
Entering the St. Clair River.
Entering the St. Clair River.
Up-bound on a crisp winter evening.
Up-bound on a crisp winter evening.
Dressed in icy frills after transiting Lake Superior and Lake Huron.
Dressed in icy frills after transiting Lake Superior and Lake Huron.
Bookworm

For a change-of-pace, today's fare is tugs & ATBs.
Attachments
+Gregory J. Busch 2014-07-20.jpg
+Michigan & Great Lakes 2014-01-12.jpg
+Defiance & Ashtabula 2014-01-12.jpg
+Presque Isle 2013-11-12.jpg
Spartan & barge  2013-03-30.jpg
At St. Clair
At St. Clair
Notice the long "train" following her.
Notice the long "train" following her.
Manitou & barge 2014-06-13.jpg
Kimberly Anne 2015-05-21.jpg
Karen Andrie 2015-01-14.jpg
McKee Sons 2014-12-18.jpg
Rouge River
Rouge River
Detroit River
Detroit River
Marblehead (LaFarge)
Marblehead (LaFarge)
Captain Keith & barge 2013-10-12.jpg
Bagotville & barge 2007-04-28.jpg
Bookworm

More salties: from April 2014, all up-bound on the St. Clair River.
Attachments
+Federal Rideau 2014-04-15a.jpg
+Gadwall 2014-04-09a.jpg
+SCL Bern 2014-04-13a.jpg
+Federal Shimanto 2014-04-20.jpg
+Prosna 2014-04-27.jpg
+Luebbert 2014-04-17a.jpg
+CL Hanse Gate 2014-04-25.jpg
+Federal Yukina 2014-04-27.jpg
+Diana 2014-04-25.jpg
+Brant 2014-04-12b.jpg
+Apollon 2014-04-27.jpg
Bookworm

With a month to go until the shipping season officially opens, I can't deny it, I've got a bad case of ship "withdrawal." So, took a bit of time from the daily routine to search out photos of salties I've captured (and posted to Boatnerd) over the years. Enjoy!
Attachments
On still icy St. Clair River
On still icy St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
With a crowd of sunbathers at Marysville
With a crowd of sunbathers at Marysville
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River below Marysville. (Note the now gone power plant in background).
St. Clair River below Marysville. (Note the now gone power plant in background).
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
Coming off Lake Huron
Coming off Lake Huron
Bookworm

A few more Gone Forever images from the Great Lakes.
Attachments
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
St. Clair River
Bookworm

A trip through "Memory Waters" with these captures of friends from the past.
Attachments
Mission Point (St. Marys River, Sault Ste. Marie, MI)
Mission Point (St. Marys River, Sault Ste. Marie, MI)
Bluewater Bridges (Port Huron, MI)
Bluewater Bridges (Port Huron, MI)
Marysville, MI (St. Clair River)
St. Clair, MI (St. Clair River)
St. Clair, MI (St. Clair River)
Bookworm

This might make a great jig-saw puzzle.
Attachments
Reflected pilings. Near the River Crab Restaurant, on the St. Clair River.
Reflected pilings. Near the River Crab Restaurant, on the St. Clair River.
Bookworm

So today I'm revisiting years of saved digital photos and come across this one, taken Christmas Day, 2015. I love reflections. Anyone who posts ship photos with reflections -- and a lot of really good ones come from along the Welland Canal -- really gets my attention! This is the Canadian petro-chemical facility, across the St. Clair River, from Marysville, MI.
Attachments
2015-12-25 Reflections 22.jpg
Bookworm

Drove to Alpena this morning and discovered their "Ice Tree." It may be a yearly event, but I'd not seen it before.
Lovely, but doesn't come close to those photos of ice sculptures on freighters & tug/barges, posted online in recent days!
Attachments
Sorry about the power lines.  I couldn't get where I wanted to be, for a distraction-free image.
Sorry about the power lines. I couldn't get where I wanted to be, for a distraction-free image.
Bookworm

It's been a year since I last watched ship activity on the St. Clair River and with the fast and deep freeze now in place, I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to go where the action was.
Left at 06:45 yesterday morning, knowing Lee A. Tregurtha and Manitoulin had stayed the night in the Harsons Island area. Calculating my 4 hour drive and slowed river speed, I estimated the convoy might be between Marine City and St. Clair when I got to Marysville.
Wrong! USCG Neah Bay was plowing through the large ice plates and CCG Samuel Risley followed, leading Lee A. and Manitoulin.
The air temperature was in the mid-teens but that wind!! I'm pretty tough but couldn't stand out it in more than 20 seconds without feeling the pain in my hands and had to return to the protection of my car within 2 minutes.
Still, the trip was worth the reward but I'm sure the crews of every vessel still trying to make it to lay-up will be relieved and thankful once this season is over.
With so many excellent photographers following the action (lots of vehicles all the way to Port Huron) and posting on FB, I'm keeping my submissions to one per vessel.
At the moment (Monday evening) Edwin H. Gott (Detroit),Walter J. McCarthy (Zug), Calumet (Detroit), Mesabi Miner, Nanticoke, and Philip R. Clarke (Conneaut) remain at anchor in lower Lake Huron, while Great Republic and the tug Michigan are down-bound above the "Thumb."
Attachments
Neah Bay sped past Marysville and on into lower Lake Huron.
Neah Bay sped past Marysville and on into lower Lake Huron.
Risley and crew were on their way to the Government Dock and a well-deserved rest.
Risley and crew were on their way to the Government Dock and a well-deserved rest.
Lee A. Tregurtha still has a long way to go to lay-up at Superior, WI. Notice the large ice plates flowing past her.
Lee A. Tregurtha still has a long way to go to lay-up at Superior, WI. Notice the large ice plates flowing past her.
Manitoulin (destination Soo) bringing up the rear.
Manitoulin (destination Soo) bringing up the rear.
Everlast & Norman McLeod at the refinery dock.
Everlast & Norman McLeod at the refinery dock.
Manitowoc already in lay-up at Sarnia.
Manitowoc already in lay-up at Sarnia.
Buffalo waiting for her major make-over by the Government Dock, at Sarnia.
Buffalo waiting for her major make-over by the Government Dock, at Sarnia.
Bookworm

First sighting of a ship in 2018 was the Robert S. Pierson (Soo) around noon. Depending how close they track, this afternoon I hope to see/photograph American Century (Two Harbors) and Mississagi (Soo).
Attachments
Scenic view.
Scenic view.
Disembodied view.
Disembodied view.
Bookworm

Correction: KEB's destination is Algoma.
Bookworm

Christmas Day broke with mostly sunny skies, frigid temperatures, and a bit windy.
AIS showed JRB (Duluth) coming close to the shore -- couldn't miss the chance to see a footer close-up -- and "Ms. B" (Alpena) was following at a distance. I had dinner guests coming so couldn't wait for her.
Headed to the lakefront and watched (from the warmth of my car) for the tell-tale scrubber "plume" to appear and chose these two shots of the many I took.
MERRY CHRISTMAS to the captain & crew of "Mr. B"!
Attachments
Sky, clouds & water make such fascinating compositions!
Sky, clouds & water make such fascinating compositions!
From the shore
From the shore
Zoomed in
Zoomed in
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

Fun ice sculptures! Merry Christmas Bookworm.
Bookworm

AIS showed H. Lee White (Hamilton) down-bound not too far out, so I grabbed the camera and went out into temperatures hovering around 20°. I could see only maybe 1/4 of the top of the superstructure on the horizon, but there were some interesting scenes on shore. Also, although I couldn't capture the effect, maybe 200' out it looked like a wave swell was frozen in motion. I kept looking at it, but nothing changed. This side of it, the water was calm. Enjoy!
Attachments
Br-r-r-r-r-r-r-r!
Br-r-r-r-r-r-r-r!
Looks like a wintry lay-up of ice formations!
Looks like a wintry lay-up of ice formations!
2017-12-24c The other side of the pier.jpg
Bookworm

Early morning delight to watch Herbert C. Jackson riding the horizon, down-bound from Stoneport to Bay City/Saginaw.
Attachments
2017-12-21a HCJ.jpg
Bookworm

Winds on Lake Huron became quite brisk through the night and before first light Frontenac (Thunder Bay), and Kaye E. Barker (Marquette), passed my vantage point. Their cheerful lighted forms added to my festive mood. Much earlier, Manitoulin (Milwaukee) slipped past as I slept and the Canadian Coast Guard cutter, Sam Risley headed to ice operations on the St. Marys River.
Bookworm

An increase in winds Friday saw a shift in traffic patterns for vessels off Michigan's "mitten." Walter McCarthy (destination St. Clair) was visible in daytime hours and the lights of tugs Michigan (Nanticoke) and Joyce Vanenkevort (Detroit), and Lee A Tregurtha (AK/Rouge) twinkled on the horizon after dark. While I slept, tanker Dara Desgagnes (Sault Ste. Marie), Buffalo (Mainstee) and H. Lee White (outdated destination) slippied past. This morning traffic patterns appear to be returning to normal.
Bookworm

As winter storm Chloe moved through, bringing a lovely early Christmas snow and frigid temps (0° this morning), in only two days Lake Huron's appearance changed from open water to this (as viewed from the Oscoda pier):
Attachments
Chloe was here!
Chloe was here!
After Chloe's passing, it's nice to see blue skies again!
After Chloe's passing, it's nice to see blue skies again!
Chunky Lake Huron
Chunky Lake Huron
Cut through the ice field
Cut through the ice field
Ice blossoms
Ice blossoms
Baby bath for a polar bear!
Baby bath for a polar bear!