What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Guest »

Nice pictures Bookworm. Loved the picture of the Sykes
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

After days at anchor above Port Huron, saltie Blacky was loading at the Sarnia Government Dock on a rare, sunny day.
Attachments
2018-11-20 Blacky.jpg
Bookworm

Two lovely classics. A first time ever sighting for one and the other, well... (; )
Weather wasn't the best with wind-chilled temperatures and thick clouds, but at least the sleet and snow hadn't arrived.
Attachments
On another Marquette to AK Rouge and back run
On another Marquette to AK Rouge and back run
Seeing this ship in daylight hours on the St. Clair River was a dream come true for many Boatnerds and those who heard a salute went home feeling mighty good!
Seeing this ship in daylight hours on the St. Clair River was a dream come true for many Boatnerds and those who heard a salute went home feeling mighty good!

Unread post by Guest »

Nice pics! Keep them coming please
Bookworm

The first breath of winter arrived here yesterday, as it did in many places, but ship traffic continued moving, despite blustery conditions.
Attachments
Saltie Trudy (Duluth) sailing through the first snowfall of the season.
Saltie Trudy (Duluth) sailing through the first snowfall of the season.
Tanker Kitikmeot W (Sept. Isles) moving down-bound at Marysville.
Tanker Kitikmeot W (Sept. Isles) moving down-bound at Marysville.
Resko (Thunder Bay) approaches the Bluewater Bridges.
Resko (Thunder Bay) approaches the Bluewater Bridges.
Impressive view of Kaye E. Barker (Grand Haven) entering the choppy waters of Lake Huron just above the Bluewater Bridges.
Impressive view of Kaye E. Barker (Grand Haven) entering the choppy waters of Lake Huron just above the Bluewater Bridges.
CSL Welland at the Sarnia Government Dock just after daybreak.
CSL Welland at the Sarnia Government Dock just after daybreak.
Joseph H. Thompson (Meldrum Bay) passing the Sarnia Government Dock.
Joseph H. Thompson (Meldrum Bay) passing the Sarnia Government Dock.
Bookworm

A variety of vessels were on the St. Clair River the past three days -- and I missed more than I saw.
Attachments
Mary E. Hannah and barge at the Shell Fuel dock.
Mary E. Hannah and barge at the Shell Fuel dock.
Algoma Sault slowing before pulling into the Shell fuel dock, ahead of Mary E. Hannah.
Algoma Sault slowing before pulling into the Shell fuel dock, ahead of Mary E. Hannah.
Tecumseh reflecting late afternoon sun, at Marysville.
Tecumseh reflecting late afternoon sun, at Marysville.
Sam Laud down-bound at dusk.
Sam Laud down-bound at dusk.
Paul R. Tregurtha's inner bow detail.
Paul R. Tregurtha's inner bow detail.
Before entering the Lake Huron, five short, robust blasts were directed at a small fishing boat whose occupants apparently packed everything but common sense when they set out for the day.  A few minutes later, fans were treated to a real salute!
Before entering the Lake Huron, five short, robust blasts were directed at a small fishing boat whose occupants apparently packed everything but common sense when they set out for the day. A few minutes later, fans were treated to a real salute!
Calumet sweeps under the Bluewater Bridges and out onto the stunning waters of Lake Huron.
Calumet sweeps under the Bluewater Bridges and out onto the stunning waters of Lake Huron.
Lee A. Tregurtha (Marquette) under thick morning clouds.
Lee A. Tregurtha (Marquette) under thick morning clouds.
Footer American Integrity (Ashtabula) and 826' Lee A. Tregurtha meet in Chemical Valley.
Footer American Integrity (Ashtabula) and 826' Lee A. Tregurtha meet in Chemical Valley.
H. Lee White (Calcite) passing ships in the Sarnia anchorage.
H. Lee White (Calcite) passing ships in the Sarnia anchorage.
Tug Champion (Charlevoix) and two barges up-bound at Port Huron.
Tug Champion (Charlevoix) and two barges up-bound at Port Huron.
Bookworm

Damp, dreary, drizzly day along the St. Clair River, but ships are moving -- except for one in the lower Lake Huron anchorage.
Attachments
Federal Alster passes my vantage point with a destination of Goderich, Ont. Canada.
Federal Alster passes my vantage point with a destination of Goderich, Ont. Canada.
American Spirit trailing a lovely plume with a destination of Duluth.
American Spirit trailing a lovely plume with a destination of Duluth.
At the Sarnia Government Dock
At the Sarnia Government Dock
Bookworm

Out running errands but managed to catch these three ships -- a great diversion!
Attachments
John G. Munson down-bound to a Detroit destination and this morning is on the return to an unspecified port.
John G. Munson down-bound to a Detroit destination and this morning is on the return to an unspecified port.
American Century slowly passed these geese before pulling in to the Shell Fuel Dock for a long drink.  Her destination shows as Silver Bay.
American Century slowly passed these geese before pulling in to the Shell Fuel Dock for a long drink. Her destination shows as Silver Bay.
Hon. James L. Oberstar heading to Marquette mid-morning.
Hon. James L. Oberstar heading to Marquette mid-morning.
Bookworm

Lovely day along the St. Clair River. All of this in an hour. Would have waited for CSL Tadoussac, but the sun was setting by the time she reached my vantage point.
Attachments
Whitefish Bay downbound at St. Clair, with a destination of Montreal.
Whitefish Bay downbound at St. Clair, with a destination of Montreal.
Lee A. Tregurtha heading into biting cold October winds on her way to Calcite/Rogers City.
Lee A. Tregurtha heading into biting cold October winds on her way to Calcite/Rogers City.
Can't see much of the Joseph H. Thompson, Jr. unloading at the Blue Water Aggregates plant in Marysville.
Can't see much of the Joseph H. Thompson, Jr. unloading at the Blue Water Aggregates plant in Marysville.
A close-up of the process
A close-up of the process
Bookworm

Random captures on the St. Clair River the past few weeks.
Attachments
Herbert C. Jackson, destination Stoneport.
Herbert C. Jackson, destination Stoneport.
John J. Carrack at Sarnia dock.
John J. Carrack at Sarnia dock.
American Integrity down-bound to the St. Clair Power Plant.  Had to wait for PRT to finish unloading.
American Integrity down-bound to the St. Clair Power Plant. Had to wait for PRT to finish unloading.
Algoma Guardian
Algoma Guardian
Great Republic
Great Republic
Saltie Osogovo
Saltie Osogovo
Bookworm

The day was just too good to spend organizing indoors or working in the garden, so I went to the river and captured these images.
Attachments
Lee A Tregurtha approaching the Bluewater Bridges with the sun coloring her trailing plume. Destination Two Harbors.
Lee A Tregurtha approaching the Bluewater Bridges with the sun coloring her trailing plume. Destination Two Harbors.
Joe Thompson & Jr. above Marysville.  Destination Bruce Mines.
Joe Thompson & Jr. above Marysville. Destination Bruce Mines.
Radcliff R. Latimer down-bound to Sydney, NS.
Radcliff R. Latimer down-bound to Sydney, NS.
Fleet-mates Mesabi Miner (destination Cleveland) and Paul R. Tregurtha (destination Superior), meet and exchange salutes above Marysville.
Fleet-mates Mesabi Miner (destination Cleveland) and Paul R. Tregurtha (destination Superior), meet and exchange salutes above Marysville.
Looks like Mesabi Miner made quite a wake, but it came from a pleasure boat that passed her.
Looks like Mesabi Miner made quite a wake, but it came from a pleasure boat that passed her.
Bookworm

The sounds of fog horns on the river this morning spurred me to check out possibilities for accessing my photos from the memory card and editing them for submission to this forum, using a library computer. So, here's Algoma Discovery, down-bound along River Road, at Marysville. I'll work with previous captures and submit them later.
Attachments
2018-09-15 Algo Disc.jpg
Bookworm

Normally, five days near the St. Clair River would have yielded me more ship photos that I could post, but this wasn't a normal five days as I spent most of my time dealing with personal business. Several passed by the Bluewater Inn while I was unpacking the car and many when it was too dark, but here are the ships I did capture.
Attachments
2018-08-26a CSL Assiniboine.jpg
My first sighting of Algoma Compass in her new colors and name.
My first sighting of Algoma Compass in her new colors and name.
2018-08-26c Blough.jpg
2018-08-26d AlgoBuffalo.jpg
Too early in the morning for a crisp image of HCJ.
Too early in the morning for a crisp image of HCJ.
Incredibly beautiful pre-sunrise skies!
Incredibly beautiful pre-sunrise skies!
After delivering Stoneport limestone to Ashtabula, she was on her way to Marquette.
After delivering Stoneport limestone to Ashtabula, she was on her way to Marquette.
Bookworm

A number of freighters have visited the Stoneport loading dock this past week, among them Great Republic and Frontenac. I wasn't able to make it up there for either of them, but early this morning I caught up with Kay E. Barker as she was preparing to head north. But before she got underway, her fleet mate Lee A. Tregurtha slowly came into view. In seamless coordination, as soon as Ms. B. moved into Lake Huron waters, Lee A took her place at the dock.
Attachments
Finished with the loading process, Kaye E Barker's boom is slowly lowered into place.
Finished with the loading process, Kaye E Barker's boom is slowly lowered into place.
Lee A. Tregurtha approaches the Stoneport facility over calm waters.
Lee A. Tregurtha approaches the Stoneport facility over calm waters.
Kaye E Barker, loaded with limestone moves into Lake Huron
Kaye E Barker, loaded with limestone moves into Lake Huron
Lee A. inching her way to the Stoneport dock.
Lee A. inching her way to the Stoneport dock.
John Sherwin

Unread post by John Sherwin »

Jackpot
Bookworm

Spent a delightful -- although extremely hot -- three days along the St. Clair River, "shooting" as many ships as daylight hours would allow. I actually saw several on both their down-bound and return trips!
Attachments
2018-08-13c Mesabi Miner.jpg
2018-08-13d Thunder Bay.jpg
2018-08-13e Algonova.jpg
2018-08-13f Mamry.jpg
2018-08-13g Olive Moore.jpg
2018-08-14b Frontenac.jpg
2018-08-14c American Integrity.jpg
2018-08-14d Capt. Henry Jackman.jpg
2018-08-14g Manitowoc.jpg
2018-08-14h USCG Mobile Bay.jpg
2018-08-14i Saginaw.jpg
2018-08-14j LAT.jpg
2018-08-15a Firey sunrise.jpg
2018-08-15b Spruceglen.jpg
2018-08-15c Atlantic Huron.jpg
2018-08-15d Helen H.jpg
2018-08-15e Defiance & Ashtabula.jpg
2018-08-15f H.L.White.jpg
2018-08-15g Manitoulin.jpg
2018-08-15h W.J. McCarthy, Jr.jpg
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Bookworm, gosh you sure have been busy getting out and about here lately and your great photography what can I say other than excellent and fantastic photos! I was out at the river this week to see the CG Escanaba pass by and saw and got some great photos of her. Was lucky also to see a large 150 foot long yacht pass by in St. Clair at about the same time as well. Sure wish I was rich and had their money and luxury yachts to go sailing around the world in. Sure must be nice to have money like those people do and have everything done and served for them. Sounds like my kinda life huh? Glad to see that you are getting out and about and doing the things that you enjoy doing most as I know that's what your son would want and for me, I know that is what my folks would want with me is to continue to live life to the fullest and enjoy each and everyday and the opportunities that come with it. I even took a nature photo of my own at the river this week. While waiting for the Escanaba in St. Clair, I happened to see and watch a butterfly land in some flowers. So I watched this butterfly and it stayed on the flowers for a long period of time. With camera in hand, I took some photos of the butterfly and you can only imagine then how well those photos turned out! I took three different stages of it and they all turned out excellent with its wings in the flowers if you know what I mean? I only wish I knew though how to post photos here like you do bookworm as I don't know how to shrink them down and I don't have much free and spare time even for editing them and doing any adjusting to them. I still have all of my 2017 pics on a memory card and I need to find a card for my Soo trip next month in August. I just got so much to do here at home and to get things ready for the Soo that it's really taking its hits with me since my folks would always do stuff for me. Sorry to get off the subject here. Again great job with your photos bookworm and keep them coming as your photos are always a welcome sight here on this board and for people to see and read. 3 Long and 2 Short!
Bookworm

Rains came sporadically through the afternoon. Around 18:30, the skies began clearing to the west. Hoping the sun would create a spectacular rainbow over the lake, I drove there ASAP. See for yourselves. American Integrity, up-bound from Essexville floated beneath the expanse.
Attachments
To get the full span, Integrity faded into the background.
To get the full span, Integrity faded into the background.
Integrity moving through a brief rain squall.
Integrity moving through a brief rain squall.
Bookworm

Restlessness spurred me to get in the car and head north! First stop was Stoneport (formerly Presque Isle) where Algoma Sault was loading limestone. This was my first time to see her as it was just before daylight when she passed on the St. Clair River the last time I was there. Then on to Calcite, cowering under a wet and foggy sky, where Dorothy Ann & Pathfinder were under the loader. It was impossible to see more than maybe 25-ft. out onto the lake which meant any freighter traffic slipped by unseen. Stopped at the Lighthouse Cafe, in Rogers City, and ordered a personal-size pizza -- something I do every time I go up there. Delicious and very affordable. On the way back, skies were clearing, so I diverted to the newest of the Presque Isle lighthouses and scanned the horizon for any passing ships, but there was only a yacht visible from there. South again, to the Harrisville Marina which has become a favorite overlook/picnic spot for a final stop before coming home.
Attachments
What to my wondering eyes, indeed!  I could almost hear the car laughing, "Made you look!"
What to my wondering eyes, indeed! I could almost hear the car laughing, "Made you look!"
Algoma Sault at Stoneport.
Algoma Sault at Stoneport.
Dorothy Ann & Pathfinder loading at Calcite.  Notice how the fog hovers closer to the ground.
Dorothy Ann & Pathfinder loading at Calcite. Notice how the fog hovers closer to the ground.
The fog lifted temporarily, then returned.
The fog lifted temporarily, then returned.
A variety of wildflowers graced the roadsides and footpaths.
A variety of wildflowers graced the roadsides and footpaths.
Its beacon can be seen for 22 nautical miles!
Its beacon can be seen for 22 nautical miles!
Love finding these little oases of beauty and surprise!
Love finding these little oases of beauty and surprise!
Marina Break-wall.
Marina Break-wall.
Large, scenic pavilion, site of weddings and other events
Large, scenic pavilion, site of weddings and other events
Bookworm

It's been awhile since I saw freighters from shore but this afternoon, up-bound from Essexville to Cedarville, Herbert C. Jackson was just close enough to capture in passing.
Attachments
2018-07-19 HCJ.jpg