britt ontario

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: britt ontario

Unread post by guest »

if you google photos of britt they had a coal dock with 2 cranes for unloading coal. didnt see any tankers but im sure they came after steam locomtives were replaced by diesels. i remember see large oil tanks there in the 70s you could see them from hwy 69.
lakercapt1

Unread post by lakercapt1 »

I was only in this place once when I first started sailing on the Great Lakes. It was on the Shell tanker "Arctic Trader"(I thought I had been in a time warp being on her) I was surprised anyone who had any sense would take a boat into this place. ( I was a deep-sea guy ) The captain managed and from what I recall we had to turn around in there. Did not last long in Shell and was glad.
howie8

Unread post by howie8 »

Captain B LOL l know exactly what you mean l was wheelsman on the Lakeshell 2 we went there many times the first time l could hardly believe a ship could get in there was also wheelsman on the Easternshell 2 a bigger tanker than the Lakeshell 2 but l believe when we went to Britt we never carried a full load !!
Captain B

Unread post by Captain B »

I was captain on the Enerchem trader going in there ; single screw no bow thruster . One crewmember on the bow told me on the walkie talkie « Capt. the water is so clear , we see the rocks everywhere « The hell if I wanted to know.

Unread post by guest »

I was on the M.V. Gemini when she made several trips in there with diesel fuel. It was a beautiful transit in and out.

Unread post by guest »

north of britt the canadian national railway use to have a coal receiving dock at key harbour, long since abdoned. a spur line from the main line east of hwy 69 went to key harbour. the tracks have all been lifted many years ago and if there was a road it is all overgrown. if anything remains it would be best visited by a motorboat from the mouth of the french river.. who knows prehaps someone has a photo of the area when it was in use?
bob

Unread post by bob »

i also made trips to britt on the collingwood in the 74/75 i have fond memories of the jolly jug
ray2

Unread post by ray2 »

made quite a few trips into britt in the fifty,s and was on the imperial Windsor with the first boat load into cutler.
badger

Unread post by badger »

you must mean cp because there aren't any cn tracks any where near britt

Unread post by Guest »

The Gemini of Cleveland Tankers, made several trips into Britt with diesel fuel for CN.
pcolachap

Unread post by pcolachap »

In the old, old days, the Canadian railroads used to have coaling stations for their locomotives along the north shores of the lakes.
Britt, Thessalon & Jackfish were among the stations/ ports. In the early 80s, after dad's retirement, we did a circle route around Lake Superior. We tried to find Jackfish, but couldn't get through a much worn out trail. The small Cliff boats used to carry coal to this points.
Ah, the good old days! Mike
Old sailer

Unread post by Old sailer »

Made many trips into Britt with Imperial Oil back in sixties and seventies.we where on a road trip a few years ago and checked it out no tanks anymore. We also went into Cutler in the north channel in the day and pulled a hose out of the water to and discharged to tanks ashore. All tanks are gone today.

Unread post by guest »

no
badger

britt ontario

Unread post by badger »

does the Canadian pacific railway still receive diesel fuel oil for its railroad locomotives at this port? railroads aren't stupid they know that shipping by water where practicle is economical