Musings

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: Musings

Unread post by Bookworm »

As I've gotten older, it seems the younger generation (from government to commerce), makes changes – apparently without thinking any further ahead than a perceived bottom-dollar benefit or giving advanced warning of how it might/will affect our lives– and then expects us to adjust as though it was a perfectly normal change, and for the better.
Recently I discovered the policy of a chain store where I bought my last wrist watch has changed. They no longer replace the batteries (which one must purchase, naturally), for their customers. Really?? To have it done, I drove 15 miles to a competitive big box store, but added other errands to the trip so it turned out OK.
On days like that I can identify with the old Broadway show title, “Stop the World, I want to get off!”
It seems too many changes are happening way too fast, and not exactly to my liking!
None are life-altering, but they interfere with an essential calm flow of day-to-day life. I can accept a foot of snow in winter as normal; or an unexpected, but important phone call just as I'm about to walk out the door, but when it gobbles chunks of my time to look through old receipts/statements and make copies to send to whomever suddenly needs "proof" from something years ago...
Since I can't change things back, and dwelling on or fuming about the situation does absolutely no good, I turn to the antics going on outside my window to watch 8-10 squirrels racing about in circles or chasing each other up-and-down the tall pines. I delight in the relays of the jays and tufted titmouse visitors to my balcony bird feeder. For the many irritating things we must deal with in life, often a little laughter goes a long way to improve one's mood.

Unread post by Guest »

If I won the lottery I would call for a relief off my ship, drive to the company office and drop my drawers so the company president could kiss my posterior!! The only water I would go in after that day would be in my swimming pool!! This is just a job and unlike 20-25 years ago it is no longer much fun! :([/quote]

Being an ex-sailor, I can appreciate some of your sentiments. But, If I was you, I'd be thankful I had a job. Many folks don't have a steady job or a job at all. And about that lottery win..... good luck with that! Happy Holiday's everyone!!
Bookworm

Awoke this morning to a dusting of snow on rooftops, vehicles, and walkways. Great Lakes weather forecasts include lake effect snow watches in some areas. One of the vessels passing the Dossin cam had snow on her hatches.
Despite this being December with several early lay-ups noted on Boatnerd, it hadn't sunk in. (Without seeing those snowy hatches, I have to wonder how long it would have taken me to realize that?) Seems incredible but there are only a few weeks left until the end of the shipping season. I'm sure the mariners are more than ready for the break and a return to their families and friends. To them I say, go safe and thanks for indulging us who are drawn to boat watching in its many forms.

Unread post by Guest »

Bookworm wrote:Have you ever entertained thoughts of how much better things would be if you won a million dollars? You'd likely be “over the moon” with excitement and you'd discover almost immediately you have friends, neighbors, and family you hadn't even heard of – until they heard about your incredible luck.
Now imagine you're zipping along on an Interstate Highway and, with no forewarning, find yourself in thick fog. Would you breathe sigh of relief that you have all that money, or a prayer for help to get you safely through?
Say a family member, serving abroad in the military, has not been heard from in weeks. Then comes a knock on your door and when you open it, there they stand, grinning from ear-to-ear for pulling off a surprise homecoming. Would you trade the joy you feel for any of your winnings?
Out on the Great Lakes a major storm is brewing. Weather forecasts look dire. Your captain consults his charts and makes repeated calculations to determine whether he can get the ship and crew safely to the next destination or whether he should go to anchor until the storm passes. Which would bring you inner peace, having millions in the bank or the captain's wisdom in making a good decision?
We live and learn, and it's a fact that you can't miss what you've never had. Conversely, often one of life's greatest regrets is trading peace, hope, and joy to chase after an illusion of what might be -- but what seldom becomes reality.
Treasure the gifts of hope, joy, inner peace, and love and, if you win a lottery, Congratulations!
If I won the lottery I would call for a relief off my ship, drive to the company office and drop my drawers so the company president could kiss my posterior!! The only water I would go in after that day would be in my swimming pool!! This is just a job and unlike 20-25 years ago it is no longer much fun! :(
Bookworm

Eons ago (OK, it was only a few decades) when the little girl inside me and I were the same age, the original Highlights for Children magazine had a regular feature, “Goofus and Gallant,” about two boys, totally opposite in their outlook and character.
This morning those two came back to life when I awoke to discover we had no power, due to relentless high winds.
Goofus: “Oh, great! No computer. No TV. No stove. No microwave. No telephone (yes, I still rely on landline service). No heat. No...I wonder how long it's been off?...no refrigerator.
Gallant: But the sun is out. I can read some of the Christmas books on the shelf. There's plenty to eat. Thankfully, I never developed a taste for coffee (although the British in me does relish an occasional cup of tea). Surely ship traffic isn't moving yet, so checking AIS can wait. And, I can use my “emergency” TracFone to call out, if needed.
Suddenly, two sizable pine branches fell with a “snap, crack,” and at that moment I felt extremely grateful for the utility workers, out in the high winds, trying to restore power to our community.
Bookworm

Have you ever entertained thoughts of how much better things would be if you won a million dollars? You'd likely be “over the moon” with excitement and you'd discover almost immediately you have friends, neighbors, and family you hadn't even heard of – until they heard about your incredible luck.
Now imagine you're zipping along on an Interstate Highway and, with no forewarning, find yourself in thick fog. Would you breathe sigh of relief that you have all that money, or a prayer for help to get you safely through?
Say a family member, serving abroad in the military, has not been heard from in weeks. Then comes a knock on your door and when you open it, there they stand, grinning from ear-to-ear for pulling off a surprise homecoming. Would you trade the joy you feel for any of your winnings?
Out on the Great Lakes a major storm is brewing. Weather forecasts look dire. Your captain consults his charts and makes repeated calculations to determine whether he can get the ship and crew safely to the next destination or whether he should go to anchor until the storm passes. Which would bring you inner peace, having millions in the bank or the captain's wisdom in making a good decision?
We live and learn, and it's a fact that you can't miss what you've never had. Conversely, often one of life's greatest regrets is trading peace, hope, and joy to chase after an illusion of what might be -- but what seldom becomes reality.
Treasure the gifts of hope, joy, inner peace, and love and, if you win a lottery, Congratulations!
captain

Unread post by captain »

Amen to That!
Bookworm

Some years ago, I revisited a town I'd lived in years before, to try and make peace with the negative memories associated there.
After arriving, I learned that someone I'd watched mature from teen to young adult had taken their life. I was devastated! That decisive action, apparently from unresolved deep inner pain, was so out of character from what I thought I knew about them. It ended the life of a very creative, intelligent, friendly, compassionate, and sometimes mischievous soul – someone I had learned to love deeply. I was told that even their life-long friends were shocked when they heard the news.
These years later, I've never forgotten that person, and try to be more sensitive of people around me who are struggling and might need someone to listen, to walk with them through their dark days, or just sit silently beside them.
Especially during the Holiday Season, loneliness and depression can be overwhelming for many. A card, phone call, visit, or gift of food or something they enjoy – anything to let them know they are not forgotten and someone cares about them – may be all it takes to bring fresh joy and delight to their life.
Bookworm

Recently I wore my Lee A. Tregurtha crew jacket to the post office.
A man who appeared to have been a WWII veteran approached me and asked, "Were you in the Navy?"
"No," I answered with a smile, "but this ship was." I gave him a brief history, focusing on her battle ribbons and stars, and the fact she is still active, as a Great Lakes freighter. I hope to see him again, to ask him for his story of that period in our military history.
Bookworm

To my delight, AIS showed a "3-fer" night off my vantage point, but I saw only two. The lighted form of the one in the lead looked more festive than my 4' Christmas tree but the other, following at a distance, was about as bright as a star overspread by thin cloud-cover! Never spotted ship #3 which, apparently, was too far out. Now I see another vessel is down-bound, but, she'll have to pass without me in her audience. To all ships and their crews, Go Safe!
Bookworm

Musings

Maybe it has something to do with the recent gusty winds on Lake Huron but freighter traffic, visible from the shoreline, has been a real treat this past week, especially those passing in the dark hours. Love their shimmering lights! I've not photographed any because they're still too far out for a good result, but it's a good feeling to see them again without having to drive more than an hour each way.