Musings

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: Musings

Unread post by Bookworm »

Watched an interesting video message (Lake Superior Ports and Shipping FB page) by the captain of the Federal Montreal, sharing the challenges of seamen/mariners doing their jobs in the C-virus pandemic. It's less than three minutes long and renewed my admiration for those who keep the ships, and commodities, moving.
Bookworm

Hey Duluth! Quit hoarding the sun!! I can't come up there to enjoy it...my yard has become a swamp... and the St. Clair River is steadily climbing out of its banks on both the US and Canadian sides. Thank goodness for the series of Duluth Cams, my only contact with the sunny side of life. Stay healthy up there!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Bookworm wrote:PS. As of yesterday, St. Clair County has 331 cases of the C-virus and 21 recorded deaths, and we don't need more!
There's a nursing home in the Twin Cities that has 43-45 deaths alone and another 120 sick.
Bookworm

PS. As of yesterday, St. Clair County has 331 cases of the C-virus and 21 recorded deaths, and we don't need more!
Bookworm

Last evening (Friday) I drove along River Road and Gratiot Avenue. From the vehicles parked in every available space and making their own along the roadway, I might have thought the Ryerson was coming and Boatnerds from far and wide were on hand to celebrate! Standing shoulder to shoulder, with no masks to protect themselves or others, they were fishing!

Unread post by Guest »

Your aunt is wise and correct
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Amen Dawn and beautifully written and said. I too at times feel in part what you have written and suggested as well. At times I too have found myself angry and frustrated as I am sure many others can attest to as far as sitting at home and having many things that we take for granted taken away from us. Many times I have often thought and asked the simple question of "Why?" I have asked this many times "Why is this happening to us and what did any of us do to deserve something like this happening to us?" Sometimes I even think and ask "Why God would allow something like this to happen to us?" I spoke to an Aunt of mine weeks ago and she suggested to me that "Maybe God is trying to send us a message or tell us too about something and the fact that we've chosen to ignore and not to listen to what he's trying to show and tell us!" Sometimes you have to think and wonder could this be correct? I think it could be.
Bookworm

Recently, someone noted, "We grieve what is important to us." That becomes more evident, on every level of life, as we maneuver through this global crisis.
It's natural to grieve the deaths of family, friends, neighbors, and pets, but the same is true of the sense of lost community, and structure in daily life and grief isn't necessarily expressed with tears.
When one's workplace, source of income, traditional celebrations/milestones, and daily routine are added, it is very easy to become emotionally disoriented and angry.
We need to feel needed! Regardless of age, socio-economic status, race/ethnicity, or religion, we need to believe that our lives and what we do matters!
Even though I've likely never met my Boatnerd readers and definitely not the many Great Lakes mariners, whose ships I've photographed for years, you are in my thoughts and prayers as we go through this, day by day. Dawn
Bookworm

Apparently, the stay at home mandate (which I am in agreement with) has led to someone with a higher level of technical skills than I possess to access my computer and make adjustments to the settings, denying me access to my Internet browser.
It seems to be linked to constant pop-up messages (supposedly from my anti-virus protection) requesting to make changes to programs, but that hadn't happened until recently. I denied access for two days.
Two nights ago, while perusing my favorite public shipping news/photo pages, my Jet Pak (wireless access) turned off on its own and yesterday, when I tried to post the day's photos is when I hit the no browser issue.
Going another (but not my preference) route, I was able to post them but, since it will be some time before I can get professional technical help...
Just one more form of isolation.
Bookworm

Unless something of greater magnitude than the C-virus stay-at-home mandate happens, I should be able to accomplish the long-neglected challenge of culling and organizing my computer photo files. I started mid morning and expect I'll not be bored for several days!
Bookworm

Just realized tomorrow is the annual Blessing of the Fleet (11 am) at Mariners Church, in Detroit. When I lived in Ohio, I tried to make it up every year but now, living only 90 minutes away, even thinking about the traffic keeps me from seriously considering going. That said, I have fond memories of the events and would encourage you to go if you can.
Bookworm

Great to see a few ships have AIS transponders on now! I'm so ready to get out and enjoy watching and photographing the ones in lay-up.
Bookworm

Heavy, overnight fog is dissapating. I knew it was out there only because Algoma Hansa's fog horn punctuated the early morning hours, as she moved from Sarnia to Nanticoke. And...two months from today, Boatnerds will celebrate Opening Day at the Soo Locks! Even though I'll not make the trip, I'm counting the days!
Bookworm

Last night, watching Lee A head to lay-up on the various Duluth cams, I again realized how much I appreciate the technology and effort that go into maintaining the network of Great Lakes webcams.
But this morning, my appreciation was vastly expanded to include the individual photographers who stood out in the cold weather to capture the event from diverse perspectives and post the results for others to enjoy.
Then a whole new experience unfolded when I discovered Kelly Campy's 30 minute video (Know Your Ships FB) of the tug North Carolina clearing ice and nudging Lee A into her winter berth at Fraser.
I was "there," hearing the crunch of ice, watching both vessels maneuver in a sychronized water ballet, complete with lights, almost able to smell the marine diesel. I actually had to make a cup of spiced apple cider to warm up!
You'll never know the immense joy your photos and video brought me. Bless you all!
Bookworm

A thick fog has descended over the St. Clair River.
Making their way down (19:00) are Hon. James L. Oberstar, Kay E. Barker, and Herbert C. Jackson.
I can follow them, from home, by listening to their fog horns. Love the sound.
Weather forecast is calling for an ice storm with a potential for power outages lasting 2-4 days.
Time to get my camping quilts and blankets out of the car.
Anyone facing this winter storm, do all you can to stay safe.
Bookworm

I have no idea where "Goodall" came from. It certainly wasn't on my list!
Bookworm

In going through photo files today, I came across one of my creations from 2008 -- a Countdown Calendar.
Under each flap is the name of a ship. Were I making one today, so many classic names would be missing:
St. Clair...Montrealais...Quebecois...Middletown/American Victory... Algomarine...Richelieu...Mapleglen...Pineglen...Algorail...Algosoo... Algoway...Algosteel...Captain Henry Jackman...Goodall... Algolake...John B. Aird...Peter Cresswell...Gordon C. Leitch...American Fortitude...James Norris...
You get the idea.
Attachments
2008 Countdown Calendar.jpg
Bookworm

I'm beginning to see the difference between living and having a life!
It takes both to achieve happiness!
This, too, will pass but...winter lay-up has already begun!!
E J B

Unread post by E J B »

Great news. Glad there is no surgery involved......
Put your feet up for a bit and take it easy for a bit.

I look forward to reading and looking at your posts and pictures. You may have the longest running thread here—in recent memory anyway.

Take care
E J B
Bookworm

[quote="garbear"
Prayers do work.
Gary[/quote}

AMEN!