Ore boat model construction type

Discussion forum for Model Builders. Static models to R/C.
Swede

Re: Ore boat model construction type

Unread post by Swede »

Are you interested in a Carr's Hobby Fitzgerald kit.
Guest 999

Unread post by Guest 999 »

That would be an interesting model...a shipyard where a laker was under construction.

Unread post by Guest »

I'm thinking about the plank on frame method as I think I could better capture the curves of the hull better that way, and it should also help keep the weight down. Thanks for the reply!

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:What is the most commonly used method of building Great Lakes ore carriers such as the Wilfred Sykes, etc.? I'm already in my planning mode for a winter model making project but have never made a lake vessel from scratch. I'm thinking that either the plank on frame or bread and butter construction are most commonly used. Or are most of the hulls of these models made from a single block of wood? I have done some fiberglass modeling, but since I intend to build a static model, I don't think I would use that technique. Thanks for any replies.
Depends on what you are comfortable doing. I've seen it done with all the methods you mention.

Ore boat model construction type

Unread post by Guest »

What is the most commonly used method of building Great Lakes ore carriers such as the Wilfred Sykes, etc.? I'm already in my planning mode for a winter model making project but have never made a lake vessel from scratch. I'm thinking that either the plank on frame or bread and butter construction are most commonly used. Or are most of the hulls of these models made from a single block of wood? I have done some fiberglass modeling, but since I intend to build a static model, I don't think I would use that technique. Thanks for any replies.