St. Clair on Fire News Update

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: St. Clair on Fire News Update

Unread post by Denny »

Makes you wonder now though if ASC is maybe wishing now that they still had the Adam E. Cornelius and the Buffalo? At least between the two that is they were still with ASC, the two would make up some of the loss tonnage of the St. Clair. It would’ve been interesting had this not happened to St. Clair, where she would’ve hauled and carried her loads to this year? What I mean is that last year if you recall, she sailed late and carried ore from Superior to Burns Harbor. In 2017 she sailed in July and carried mostly limestone loads. The last two years at least anyway, she had not ran a full season. I know in the past anyway ASC carried lots of pellets to Indiana Harbor with a few trips to Gary, Conneaut, Ashtabula and Zug Island. Loads to Indiana Harbor were often common so I suppose the St. Clair probably would’ve carried a few loads there. Don’t mean to ramble on and not trying to cause any bad wraps on my comments here. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds in the end though. I do agree if she can be repaired it will take at least a year. The repair costs will be plenty if she can be repaired. Time will tell us.
badger

Unread post by badger »

they report the fire fighters have a shortage of water in port colborne each wintering vessel has a bubbler system in the water near the stern so if there is a fire water is readily available

Unread post by Guest »

This is extremely bad news. Anyone remember the Nicolet and Algosoo conveyor fired of 1979 and 1986? Both vessels needed months of reconstruction work.

The entire superstructure of St. Clair and much of her interior steel will have to be replaced with new steel. And who knows how much damage has been done to the engine room. She could very well be a constructive total loss.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Time for the Olive L. Moore and the McKee Sons to get back together. OK, I'm joking about that, although that tug does seem to have nine lives.

I do wonder if this will lead ASC to try to get an early start on the season to squeeze a few more trips out of the other vessels in their fleet.
Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

This will put ASC in a pickle, because they had intentions of running all their boats from the starting gun. Chances are that a lease is a real possibility, because even if the Clair is repaired, it will take a year to fix this mess. Best candidates if you ask me? There really are very few but the Anderson. ELR and American Valor are unlikely.
toledoboatphotographer

Unread post by toledoboatphotographer »

1215 pm Sunday afternoon update. The fire is still ongoing aboard the St. Clair. Thick/heavy black smoke is pourng out from the stern/cabin area of the vessel. This is going to be a very long battle to put this fire out. The first alarm for this fire was sounded almost 16 hours ago.
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

Just a couple questions. (1), Has Algoma already transferred the registry of the Valor from US to Canadian?, and (2), if the Valor still flies the US flag, what might the possibility be of American Steamship buying back the Valor and putting it in service as a partial replacement for the St. Clair? I know, it needs a five-year survey and a lot of work to get it ready to sail, but something is better than nothing. For sure, the Courage will definitely be out this year. Another thot I just had. Perhaps leasing the Great Republic from USS is a possibility. It might even bring the Anderson back out!
DCN

Unread post by DCN »

I am very sad to hear about the St. Clair burning as it was an encounter with her that got me started as a Boatnerd. I was on the Vista Fleet (on the Vista Queen) sightseeing tour of the Duluth/Superior harbor probably in August of 1994 and while we were up by the DM&IR ore docks the St. Clair had come in and we passed her on our way back to the Vista Fleet dock as she was in the East Gate backing towards Midwest Energy. We got pretty close to her and, wow, was it an impressive sight. I had been going on family vacations to the Twin Ports since the late 1980s and had always thought the boats were neat to see but it was this encounter with the St. Clair that got me hooked. Next day I bought my first copy of Know Your Ships and its been an obsession ever since. While I'm glad that it seems nobody has been hurt in the fire, I hope that the St. Clair will rise from the ashes and sail another day. Too soon to tell I guess. I was just in Toledo yesterday too, I wish I had gotten a glimpse of her. Oh well.

DCN
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

Guest wrote:The Blade reported that a local welding company had been working on the boat. If the fire was caused by welding would the local company be liable?
As a result of an investigation by appropriate authorities, the local welding company is found to be responsible, I'd say a big "yes".

Unread post by Guest »

The Blade reported that a local welding company had been working on the boat. If the fire was caused by welding would the local company be liable?
toledoboatphotographer

As of 9 am Sunday morning. The fire is still burning in the stern cabin area of the St. Clair. Fire crews are making progress. Unknown what is still burning inside the vessel. Unknown when the fire will be extinguished.
toledoboatphotographer

This is a very bad fire. The stern cabins are on fire, behind the stern cabins there is fire. the entire self unloading boom was fully involved with the rubber belts on fire. There was concern that the rubber belts underneath the cargo holds are on fire. Fire crews cannot go aboard the vessel to fight the fire. The fire is very intense and along with the heat and icing issues. The fire was still out of control at 1am. It sounds like the plan is to let the fire burn itself out. Numerous fire departments are assisting the Oregon, Ohio fire department. The vessel is located at the former Lakefront Ore Docks which is across the way from the Torco Dock.The Great Republic and John J. Boland are directly across from the St. Clair. Unknown at this time when the fire will be extinguished.
Guest 2

Unread post by Guest 2 »

Guest wrote:It is way too early to be speculating whether or not she is a total loss.
You're right it is but people on Facebook are reporting that it is a total loss from what they are hearing.

Unread post by Guest »

It is way too early to be speculating whether or not she is a total loss.

Unread post by Guest »

Found this on the wtol Facebook page
Attachments
EA8E1593-7306-471B-B3CA-3E36F0F3926D.jpeg
Dan McNeil

Unread post by Dan McNeil »

From everything I've been reading on Facebook it sounds like she's fully engulfed and the fire has reached her self unloading boom. She's a total loss and the Great Republic tied up very close to her and firefighters are attempting to prevent her from catching fire next. It's a massive fire from the couple of videos I've seen of it.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:Just seen and read on the news page of the recent fire aboard St. Clair which is laid up in Toledo near the Torco Docks. Anyone have or know of any further news, updates or details? Has the ship been damaged and what if any is the extent of any damage. Thanks for any information.

Our poor poor girl.

Orangeshirt, give us some skinny when you get it!

Unread post by Guest »

No official source, but I've seen it said on Facebook that they've given up on fighting the fire on the St Clair and have shifted priorities to prevent it from spreading to nearby vessels.
Denny

St. Clair on Fire News Update

Unread post by Denny »

Just seen and read on the news page of the recent fire aboard St. Clair which is laid up in Toledo near the Torco Docks. Anyone have or know of any further news, updates or details? Has the ship been damaged and what if any is the extent of any damage. Thanks for any information.