Al Kaline passes away

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Houseflag

Re: another Great Kaline Story

Unread post by Houseflag »

Ahhhh Al Kaline. I attended - in 7th grade, the 1968 game where the Tigers Clinched a spot - playing the Yankees at home - one of - if not - the last game Mickey Mantle played. I heard a story about Kaline when he was first put into right field as a rookie. they were also playing the Yankees. and a high fly went to him with a man on Third. When Al caught and released - the description of the Yankee dug out - which was below ground level - was that all their heads - and all eyes were watching that ball - like a line drive at eye level - right to home plate. They never challenged his arm again.

houseflag
Denny

Re: Al Kaline passes away

Unread post by Denny »

It is amazing that Al Kaline played 22 seasons for the Tigers and no other organization. The only two players that I can think of and surely there may be more but, I can only think of two right now and they would be Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell who both went on played for the Tigers almost as long as Kaline did. Not sure just how many seasons both Lou and Tram played together but it was at least close to if not over 20 seasons. I don't think that Lou got into the baseball hall of fame like Tram did unless I am missing something here. If Lou is not in the hall of fame then he surely does deserve to be there! With Al Kaline passing away, there can't be too many more players left from the 1968 team as what is left surely has to be getting up their in age now. It's too bad and also a shame that Al Kaline somehow didn't end up as a Tigers manager somehow or even a GM for them. Had he been given the chance and the opportunity, maybe the Tigers wouldn't be in such a mess like they are currently and maybe they might have went on and won more pennants titles and World Series championships as well. Just my thoughts only and two cents here. Comments anyone?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Bookworm wrote:I heard it on NPR news this afternoon. He was one talented, yet humble man. I was a Tigers fan (1957-61) and then our family moved to Ohio. I even remember how excited the announcer was when Al's first son was born! "Al Kaline: the biography" (Jim Hawkins) is a good read. I borrowed it from the library.
My grandma Elsie was a big Tigers fan so on the weekend she'd bring out her box radio and put it on her table in the backyard(extension cord and all). You'd marvel over Al Kaline's talent. My grandma lived long enough to see the Tiger's win the World Series. 22 yrs. with the same team. A great man.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

I heard it on NPR news this afternoon. He was one talented, yet humble man. I was a Tigers fan (1957-61) and then our family moved to Ohio. I even remember how excited the announcer was when Al's first son was born! "Al Kaline: the biography" (Jim Hawkins) is a good read. I borrowed it from the library.
Denny

Al Kaline passes away

Unread post by Denny »

Just heard from my brother that former Tiger great and hero Al Kaline passed away at 85 years of age. He was a member of the 1968 team that beat the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series. After his career ended playing baseball, Al then became a TV broadcaster and he was in partnership for many years with George Kell who also once played for the Tigers. George Kell passed away many years ago and most recently, Ernie Harwell passed away a few short years ago. All three of them were in TV broadcasting and baseballs hall of fame and now today, all three are again reunited in baseballs hall of fame in heaven! I guess you might say there really is a Field of Dreams and If You Build it then they will come as the voice once said! Anyone who’s never seen that movie I encourage you to get it on DVD ad you won’t be sorry and the best part is at the end when Kevin Costner is playing catch with his Dad. If that don’t bring you to tears then I don’t know what will? A great movie!